Are there any microcontroller (mcu) course in university?

In summary, a textbook that is good to learn microcontroller basics specifically for electrical and computer engineering students is the "PIC32 microcontroller series" book which can be found online or in a bookstore.
Callaghan
I'm looking for some textbook for learning microcontroller(MCU), especially AVR, Atmega series.

Does the electrical and computer engineering department in some university teach this devices?

If so, what is the basic textbook for university students to learn MCU?

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are textbooks on microcontrollers, but there are so many types it's hard to write one specifically geared toward a specific type, like AVR. The following textbook is one that I've used for the course I took on mechatronics. It generalizes microcontroller features (interrupts, etc.) so you'll know what the general capabilities of the AVR are. The AVR datasheet will tell you the rest.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0131433563/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes CalcNerd
You are implying that studying AVR textbook is not really good choice?

So it is good to learn mechatronics and AVR datasheet can suffice?

What I'm saying is that a university textbook will be written to be as general as possible within a certain subject. When I took mechatronics, I specifically used the PIC32 microcontroller series, but the textbook I had for the class only generally covered what microcontrollers can do (interrupts, timers, etc.). The rest I had to learn from the datasheet and from other documentation from Microchip. The link I included above is the textbook I had. A quick Internet search will point you to more specific materials on AVRs and what others have learned about using them in projects. I would think that's enough to get you started.

Depending on your interest level, you might not need to learn everything about mechatronics to get your specific idea/project underway. Don't make the mistake in thinking you have to know *everything* about the subject to start playing around with the components. Of course, that's not to say that there isn't a lot to learn, but don't think you have to take a university course to do something cool.

timthereaper said:
What I'm saying is that a university textbook will be written to be as general as possible within a certain subject. When I took mechatronics, I specifically used the PIC32 microcontroller series, but the textbook I had for the class only generally covered what microcontrollers can do (interrupts, timers, etc.). The rest I had to learn from the datasheet and from other documentation from Microchip. The link I included above is the textbook I had. A quick Internet search will point you to more specific materials on AVRs and what others have learned about using them in projects. I would think that's enough to get you started.

Depending on your interest level, you might not need to learn everything about mechatronics to get your specific idea/project underway. Don't make the mistake in thinking you have to know *everything* about the subject to start playing around with the components. Of course, that's not to say that there isn't a lot to learn, but don't think you have to take a university course to do something cool.

Although I am a novice and I couldn't follow your words exactly, I will keep this in mind. Thank you for the advice.

1. What is a microcontroller (MCU)?

A microcontroller (MCU) is a small computer on a single integrated circuit that is designed to control specific electronic devices or systems. It contains a processor, memory, and input/output peripherals all on one chip.

2. What topics are covered in a microcontroller course?

A microcontroller course typically covers topics such as microcontroller architecture, programming languages, interfacing, and applications. It may also cover specific microcontroller families, such as Arduino or PIC.

3. Are there any prerequisites for taking a microcontroller course?

This may vary depending on the university, but typically a basic understanding of electronics and programming is recommended. Some universities may also require specific math or physics courses.

4. What skills can I gain from taking a microcontroller course?

By taking a microcontroller course, you can gain a deeper understanding of microcontroller architecture, programming, and applications. You can also develop skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and project management.

5. Are there any career opportunities for someone with a microcontroller course?

Yes, there are many career opportunities for someone with a microcontroller course. Some examples include embedded systems engineer, robotics engineer, and electronic design engineer. These skills are highly sought after in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and consumer electronics.