Are there prime numbers n for which S=/0?

In summary, the conversation discusses the set S, which is defined as the set of all values of a less than n where gcd(a,n) = 1 and a^(n-1) is not equal to 1 (mod n). The question is whether there are any prime numbers n for which S is not equal to the empty set. It is mentioned that from Fermat's little theorem, there are no such prime numbers. The conversation then considers the possibility of composite numbers n where S is equal to the empty set, and suggests trying it for small values of n. It is noted that 2 is a prime number, so it should not be included in the test.
koulis
Member warned about posting without the homework template
We have the set:S={1<a<n:gcd(a,n)=1,a^(n-1)=/1(modn)}
Are there prime numbers n for which S=/0?After this, are there any composite numbers n for which S=0?

(with =/ i mean the 'not equal' and '0' is the empty set)

for the first one i know that there are no n prime numbers suh that S to be not empty from Fermat's little theorem.Any ideas or hints for the second one?

Physics news on Phys.org
koulis said:
We have the set:S={1<a<n:gcd(a,n)=1,a^(n-1)=/1(modn)}
Are there prime numbers n for which S=/0?After this, are there any composite numbers n for which S=0?

(with =/ i mean the 'not equal' and '0' is the empty set)

for the first one i know that there are no n prime numbers suh that S to be not empty from Fermat's little theorem.Any ideas or hints for the second one?

Try it for a few small composite values of n. And be careful, 2 is prime.

Last edited:

1. What is S=/0?

S=/0 refers to the sum of the first n prime numbers, where n is a positive integer.

2. What are prime numbers?

Prime numbers are positive integers that are only divisible by 1 and themselves. Examples include 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, etc.

3. Are there any prime numbers n for which S=/0?

Yes, there are prime numbers n for which S=/0. For example, when n = 2, S=/0 is equal to 2, and when n = 3, S=/0 is equal to 5.

4. How do you calculate the sum of the first n prime numbers?

The sum of the first n prime numbers can be calculated by using the formula S=/0 = n(n+1)/2. For example, when n = 3, the sum would be (3x4)/2 = 6.

5. Why is the question about S=/0 important?

The question about S=/0 is important because it helps us understand the relationship between prime numbers and their sums. It also allows us to explore patterns and properties of prime numbers.