Area bounded by Curves Integration Question

In summary, the problem is to find the region bounded by two functions from y=0 to y=2, given equations x=(y-1)^2-1 and x=(y-1)^2+1. The task is to express x as a function of y and integrate it with respect to y. The confusion arises from the wording of the problem, which asks to integrate with respect to y but mentions x as the bounds of integration. The solution is to not manipulate the equations further, as x is already isolated, and to integrate from y=0 to y=2.
rkltkdlee

Homework Statement

Find the region bounded by the two functions from y=0 to y=2

equations given:
x=(y-1)2 -1
x=(y-1)2 +1

express x as a function of y and integrate it with respect to y

Homework Equations

equations given:
x=(y-1)2 -1
x=(y-1)2 +1

The Attempt at a Solution

Set x as a function of y

sqrt(x+1) + 1 =y
sqrt(x-1 ) + 1 = y

4. The confusion

The second equation doesn't actually exist until x =1...does that mean I have to just integrate from 1 to 2? But...

It says from y=0 to y=2... I am confused about this. I am told to express x as a function of y and integrate it with respect to y... I am unclear as to the meaning of this. It would make more sense if this was x=0 to x=2... please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I think the two equations you have are:
##x=(y-1)^2-1##
##x=(y-1)^2+1##

Think about the wording: "express x as a function of y", this means that you aren't supposed to change the equations because x should be isolated, and it already is. Remember now that when you are integrating a function ##x=f(y)## that the bounds of integration will be from ##y=a## to ##y=b##, not X's.

So you don't have the manipulate the equations because x is already isolated, can you see where to go on from here?

Ahhh yes! Thank you! The wording confused me greatly; I think that was the problem. Thank you for your time.

Related to Area bounded by Curves Integration Question

1. What is the definition of "area bounded by curves"?

The area bounded by curves refers to the area enclosed by a curve or a set of curves on a graph. It is the area contained within the boundaries of the curve(s) and the x-axis or y-axis.

2. How is the area bounded by curves calculated?

The area bounded by curves can be calculated using integration, specifically the definite integral. This involves finding the antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of the integral.

3. What are the key concepts involved in solving an "area bounded by curves integration" question?

The key concepts involved in solving these types of questions include understanding the properties of integrals, being able to identify the curves and their equations, and knowing how to set up the integral using the appropriate limits.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving an "area bounded by curves integration" question?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid include not properly identifying the curves and their equations, using incorrect limits for the integral, and not simplifying the integral before solving. It is also important to pay attention to the orientation of the curves and the order in which they are subtracted in the integral.

5. How can "area bounded by curves integration" be applied in real-world situations?

This concept is commonly used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and biology. It can be used to calculate the volume of irregular objects, estimate the amount of water in a river, or analyze the production of a certain chemical in a reaction. It is also used in computer graphics to create realistic images of curved surfaces.