Yes, exactly! You're welcome.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of a polar curve using the double angle identity and the area formula in polar coordinates. The steps outlined in the conversation show how the constant \dfrac{1}{2} was factored out and where it came from in the solution. The use of the double angle identity is also clarified.
Huski
Hi, everyone. I had an example from my book, but I wasn't sure how they got [itex]\dfrac{1}{2}cos\theta[/itex] on step 7? It seems like once they combined the constants, they ended up with just [itex]cos2\theta[/itex]. Although, they have a [itex]\dfrac{1}{2}[/itex] in front. Can someone help me understand where that constant came from? Thank you.

1. Homework Statement

Find the area of the region enclosed by the polar curve [itex]r=3-3cos\theta[/itex]

Homework Equations

Area in Polar Coordinates
[itex]dA=\dfrac{1}{2}r^2d\theta[/itex]

Double Angle Identity:
[itex]cos2\theta=2cos^2\theta-1[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1. [itex]dA=\dfrac{1}{2}(3-3cos\theta)^2d\theta[/itex]

factor

2. [itex]dA=\dfrac{1}{2}(9-18cos\theta+9cos^2\theta)d\theta[/itex]

write the integral and factor [itex]\dfrac{1}{2}[/itex] through

3. [itex]\displaystyle A=\dfrac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{2\pi}(9-18cos^2\theta+9cos^2\theta)d\theta[/itex]

factor out 9

4. [itex]\displaystyle A=9\cdot\dfrac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{2\pi}(1-2cos\theta+cos^2\theta)d\theta[/itex]

rewrite double-angle identity

5. [itex]cos^2\theta=\dfrac{cos^2\theta+1}{2}[/itex]

replace [itex]cos^2\theta[/itex] with the double-angle identity

6. [itex]\displaystyle A=\dfrac{9}{2}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\left(1-2cos\theta+\dfrac{cos^2\theta+1}{2} \right)d\theta[/itex]

combine the constants to get [itex]\dfrac{3}{2}[/itex]

7. [itex]\displaystyle A=\dfrac{9}{2}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\left(\dfrac{3}{2}-2cos\theta+\dfrac{1}{2}cos2\theta \right)d\theta[/itex]

integrate

8. [itex]\dfrac{9}{2}\left[\dfrac{3}{2}\theta-2sin\theta+\dfrac{1}{4}sin\theta \right]_{0}^{2\pi}[/itex]

answer

9. [itex]\dfrac{27\pi}{2}[/itex]

Attachments

• desmos-graph.png
    desmos-graph.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 347
Physics news on Phys.org
Check again the double angle identity you used in step 5.

Likes Huski
I meant to write [itex]\dfrac{cos2\theta+1}{2}[/itex] for step 5 and 6. Although I do have it written for step 7.

So are the steps above the one given in your book or your own? I don't see any flaw in it except for the typo in writing the double angle identity.

Not my own. From the book. I just don't get where the[itex]\dfrac{1}{2}[/itex] comes from in step7?

$$
\cos^2\theta=\dfrac{\cos 2\theta+1}{2} = \frac{1}{2}\cos 2\theta + \frac{1}{2}$$

Likes Huski
Huski said:
I meant to write [itex]\dfrac{cos2\theta+1}{2}[/itex] for step 5 and 6. Although I do have it written for step 7.
Just for the record: don't write ##cos 2 \theta## in LaTeX; it looks ugly and is hard to read. Write ##\cos 2 \theta## instead. You do that by typing "\cos" instead of "cos", and that goes for most other elementary functions as well.

Likes Huski
Ray Vickson said:
Just for the record: don't write ##cos 2 \theta## in LaTeX; it looks ugly and is hard to read. Write ##\cos 2 \theta## instead. You do that by typing "\cos" instead of "cos", and that goes for most other elementary functions as well.

Alright, noted.

blue_leaf77 said:
$$
\cos^2\theta=\dfrac{\cos 2\theta+1}{2} = \frac{1}{2}\cos 2\theta + \frac{1}{2}$$

Oh, you split up the [itex]\dfrac{\cos2\theta+1}{2}[/itex] into two denominators like [itex]\dfrac{\cos2\theta}{2}+\dfrac{1}{2}[/itex] That makes sense, thanks.

1. What is the formula for finding the area in polar coordinates?

The formula for finding the area in polar coordinates is A = 1/2 ∫(r^2) dθ, where r represents the radius and θ represents the angle in radians.

2. How do you convert from polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from polar coordinates (r, θ) to Cartesian coordinates (x,y), you can use the following formulas: x = rcosθ and y = rsinθ.

3. Can the area in polar coordinates be negative?

No, the area in polar coordinates cannot be negative. It represents the positive area enclosed by the polar curve.

4. How do you find the area of a specific sector in polar coordinates?

To find the area of a specific sector in polar coordinates, you can use the formula A = 1/2 (θr^2), where θ is the central angle and r is the radius of the sector.

5. What is the relationship between polar coordinates and the unit circle?

Polar coordinates are closely related to the unit circle, as r represents the distance from the origin to a point on the circle and θ represents the angle in radians from the positive x-axis to the point. This relationship can be used to convert between polar and Cartesian coordinates.