Area of a given interval and volume of an ellipsoid

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area and volume of a given ellipsoid in the interval \(-1\leq{t}\leq{1}\). The first step is to find the area of the plane cross-section for each value of t, which can be done using the formula for ellipses. Then, the volume of the ellipsoid can be found by integrating the function for the area over the given interval. The conversation also covers a mistake made in applying the formula for the area of an ellipse.
skate_nerd
I am given a pretty basic ellipsoid:
$$\frac{x^2}{16}+\frac{y^2}{9}+\frac{z^2}{1}=1$$
First, for each number t in the interval \(-1\leq{t}\leq{1}\) I need to find the area A(t) of the plane cross-section made by \(z=t\). This I know should be a function of \(t\).
After that I have to find the volume of this ellipsoid.

So far I have a sketch of this ellipsoid, which was pretty easy because it's just each denominator's square root is the length of the ellipsoid on that axis, respectively. However in my class so far we have only covered integrals and differentiation regarding vectors in 3-space. However to find an area, you need an integral, correct? I guess the bounds of the integral would probably be -1 to 1, but how would I go about finding a function to integrate? I'm assuming you would have to probably put this \(z=t\) in the ellipsoid's equation, but from there would I need to do something like solve for y? I guess I just need a little help getting started.

Physics news on Phys.org
To get you started, if the ellipse is given by:

$\displaystyle \frac{x^2}{4^2(1-t^2)}+\frac{y^2}{3^2(1-t^2)}=1$

then its area is:

$\displaystyle A_t=\pi(4^2(1-t^2))(3^2(1-t^2))=144\pi(1-t^2)^2$

and so the volume of the ellipsoid would be:

$\displaystyle V=\int_{-1}^1 A_t\,dt$

For the equation of that ellipse, where did the \(1-t^2\)'s on the denominators come from? Did you factor out the \(t^2\) from the polynomial or something?

First, I let $z=t$ to get:

$\displaystyle \frac{x^2}{4^2}+\frac{y^2}{3^2}+t^2=1$

Subtract through by $t^2$:

$\displaystyle \frac{x^2}{4^2}+\frac{y^2}{3^2}=1-t^2$

Divide through by $1-t^2$:

$\displaystyle \frac{x^2}{4^2(1-t^2)}+\frac{y^2}{3^2(1-t^2)}=1$

Then I used the formula for the are of the ellipse $\displaystyle \frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1$

which is:

$A=\pi ab$.

Now, I made a mistake above...I should have written:

$A_t=\pi\sqrt{4^2(1-t^2)}\sqrt{3^2(1-t^2)}=12\pi(1-t^2)$

I did not properly apply the formula. (Tmi)

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a given interval?

The formula for finding the area of a given interval is A = b*h, where b is the length of the base and h is the height of the interval.

2. How do you calculate the volume of an ellipsoid?

The formula for calculating the volume of an ellipsoid is V = (4/3)*π*a*b*c, where a, b, and c are the three semi-axes of the ellipsoid.

3. Can the area of a given interval be negative?

No, the area of a given interval cannot be negative as it represents the amount of space enclosed within the interval, which cannot be negative.

4. What is the difference between an interval and an ellipsoid?

An interval is a one-dimensional space between two points, while an ellipsoid is a three-dimensional shape with three semi-axes.

5. How can the area of a given interval and the volume of an ellipsoid be applied in real life?

The concept of area and volume is used in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and physics. For example, architects use the area of a given interval to determine the amount of material needed for a building's flooring, and engineers use the volume of an ellipsoid to calculate the displacement of a ship. In physics, the volume of an ellipsoid can be used to determine the mass and density of an object.