Area of A Segmented Circle Cut By A Chord

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of calculating the area of a segment below a circle given only the diameter and without using angles. Different solutions are suggested, but it is ultimately concluded that it is not possible to calculate the area without using angles. The origin of the problem is also mentioned, with the possibility of it being a "trolling" question from the professor.
TAMUwbEE
Member warned about posting with no effort shown

Homework Statement

Given a circle with a set diameter, how does one calculate the area of the segment below?

upload_2015-9-9_20-6-37.png

Homework Equations

The only information available is the diameter (in this particular example it is 14"), You may not use angles. Only the chord length.

Thank you for your reply.
Miguel

Physics news on Phys.org
The area T of the triangle made by the circle centre and the chord can be expressed in terms of L (chord length) and R without using any angles.

But the area of the sector comprising that triangle and the segment is proportional to the angle subtended at the centre by the chord. So it seems to me we cannot calculate the area of that sector without using either that angle or something equivalent to an angle (eg an inverse trig function of a ratio of R- and L-related items).

If we can't calculate the sector area with those restrictions then we can't calculate the segment area either, since the difference between the two is just T.

andrewkirk said:
The area T of the triangle made by the circle centre and the chord can be expressed in terms of L (chord length) and R without using any angles.

But the area of the sector comprising that triangle and the segment is proportional to the angle subtended at the centre by the chord. So it seems to me we cannot calculate the area of that sector without using either that angle or something equivalent to an angle (eg an inverse trig function of a ratio of R- and L-related items).

If we can't calculate the sector area with those restrictions then we can't calculate the segment area either, since the difference between the two is just T.
Yeah that's the problem I'm running into - without the angle, it seems impossible. However, is there a solution possible using the sagitta.

If you can't do it without knowing the angle, then find the angle! If you draw a line from the center of the circle to the center of the chord, you have a right triangle with the length of the hypotenuse equal to the radius of the circle and "opposite side" equal to half the length of the chord: [itex]sin(\theta)= L/R[/itex]. And the angle between the two radii is twice that.

You can start by thinking of how a function might look.
You know that if chord length C is equal to diameter D, then the area is that of half the circle. ##\frac{\pi}{8}D^2## and if C is zero, the area is zero. So you need a function of C that is defined on [0,D] with range on ##\left[0,\frac{\pi}{8}D^2\right]##.

As HallsofIvy mentioned, the ratio of C/D is equal to the sine of half the angle connecting the ends of the chord to the center. So the most natural solution would be one involving an inverse sine function to find the angle, taking the appropriate portion of the total area of the circle, then subtracting off the area of the triangle with base length C and height found by applying the Pythagorean theorem.

You say that you have a solution. Perhaps you could post the solution so we can better understand the method being suggested.

My understanding of the problem is that the approaches suggested in the last two posts are not allowed. That is, the solution is not allowed to calculate the angle along the way, either explicitly or implicitly ('You may not use angles').

Without that restriction, the problem is trivially simple.

I don't think using the sagitta can get around this restriction either, as the sagitta is a function of the cosine of the angle, so one has to do an inverse cosine operation to get something useable.

I'd be interested to know where this problem comes from, as it seems a very strange (and probably impossible) question.

Good find, RUber! Here's the conclusion of that linked thread:

linked thread said:
My professor asked if it could be done, and if so, show how, for homework.

In class he revealed that it can't. So we were "trolled" in that we spent a lot of time on it because we figured that professors don't usually ask these if it really can't be done.

I think the question from the professor in the linked thread is fair enough - and not trolling, as he asked if it could be done, thereby hinting at the possibility that it couldn't. If the question asked in this instance was worded exactly as in the OP, then I think that is indeed an inappropriate question from the teacher, as it is asked in a way that implies it can be done, which is misleading. But perhaps it has been inaccurately transcribed.

Likes RUber

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a segmented circle cut by a chord?

The formula for finding the area of a segmented circle cut by a chord is A = (r^2/2)(θ - sinθ), where r is the radius of the circle and θ is the angle formed by the two endpoints of the chord and the center of the circle.

2. How do you determine the angle θ in the formula?

The angle θ can be determined by dividing the central angle (formed by the two endpoints of the chord and the center of the circle) by 2. Alternatively, you can also use the Law of Cosines to find the angle.

3. Can you explain what a segmented circle is?

A segmented circle is a circle that has been divided into smaller sections or segments by chords. These chords divide the circle into multiple smaller shapes, such as triangles, sectors, and segments.

4. Is the area of a segmented circle cut by a chord always less than the area of a full circle?

No, the area of a segmented circle cut by a chord can be equal to or greater than the area of a full circle, depending on the length and position of the chord. If the chord is a diameter of the circle, then the segmented circle will have the same area as the full circle.

5. How can the area of a segmented circle be useful in real-world applications?

The area of a segmented circle is useful in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and design. It can be used to calculate the area of a curved surface, such as a dome or a curved roof, and can also help in determining the amount of material needed for construction projects. It is also used in calculating the area of agricultural land divided into smaller sections or fields.