Argon radioactive decay dating

In summary, the technique of potassium-argon dating uses the decay of 40K to determine the age of old lava flows. The ratio of 40Ar to 40K in a solidified lava sample can be used to calculate the age of the rock. N(t) represents the number of decayed particles over time, and NAr is the number of argon atoms in the sample. The correct equation to use is N(t) = N(0)(1/2)t/t1/2, where N(0) is the initial number of pottassium atoms in the sample. The initial number of potassium atoms is equal to the number of argon atoms plus the number of undecayed potassium atoms.
bmxicle

Homework Statement

The technique known as potassium-argon dating is used to date old lava flows. The potassium isotope 40K has a 1.28 billion year half-life and is naturally present as very low levels. 40K decays by beta emission into 40Ar. Argon is a gas, and there is no argon in flowing lava because the gas escapes. Once the lava solidifies, any argon produced in the decay is trapped inside and cannot escape. A geologist brings you a piece of solidified lava in which you find the 40Ar/40K ratio to be 0.12. What is the age of the rock

Homework Equations

N(t) = N(0)(1/2)t/t1/2
r = ln2/t1/2[/SUP]

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what i have so far.
NAr is the number of argon atoms in the sample
NK is the number of pottasium atoms in the sample
K0 is the original number of pottassium atoms in the sample.

NAr/NK =0.12 ===> NAr = 0.12NK
Nk0 = NAr + Nk
These two equations combined give NK0 = 1.12Nk
and since Nk = NAr/0.12
===> NK0 = NAr1.12/0.12

Plugging this into the equation gives:

NAr = NAr1.12/0.12(0.5)t/t1/2
0.12/1.12 = (0.5)t/t1/2
T = T1/2(ln(0.12/1.12)/ln(0.5))

This gives me 4.1 billion years which isn't right.

Physics news on Phys.org
bmxicle said:

Homework Equations

N(t) = N(0)(1/2)t/t1/2

What is N(t)?

ehild

ah sorry i guess that's not normal notation. N(t) is just the number of decayed particles as a function of time, so in this case it's NAr

Do you think that the number of Ar atoms is No at the beginning of the decay, and it decreases with time? Is not it just the opposite? ehild

I don't think that's what i have up there--and if i do that would explain the wrong answer. The number NK0 ie. the initial number of potassium atoms in the rock when the lava cooled is going to be equal to the number of Argon atoms (atoms that underwent decay) plus the number of undecayed potassium atoms Nk.

It is the number of the potassium atoms that decreases exponentially, so your N(t) means the number of 40K atoms still present at time t.

ehild

Yup that's what I was doing wrong; don't know why i got so flipped around on that. Thanks for your help.

1. What is Argon radioactive decay dating?

Argon radioactive decay dating, also known as potassium-argon dating, is a method used to determine the age of rocks and minerals by measuring the amount of the radioactive isotope, potassium-40, that has decayed into argon-40 over time.

2. How does Argon radioactive decay dating work?

This method relies on the fact that potassium-40 has a half-life of 1.3 billion years, meaning that it takes 1.3 billion years for half of the original amount of potassium-40 to decay into argon-40. By measuring the ratio of potassium-40 to argon-40 in a rock sample, scientists can calculate how much time has passed since the rock formed.

3. What types of materials can be dated using Argon radioactive decay dating?

Argon radioactive decay dating can be used to date rocks and minerals that contain potassium, such as lava flows, volcanic ash, and some sedimentary rocks. It is not typically used to date organic materials, as the ratio of potassium-40 to argon-40 is too small to accurately measure.

4. What are the limitations of Argon radioactive decay dating?

One limitation of this method is that it can only be used to date materials that contain potassium, so it is not applicable to all types of rocks and minerals. Additionally, the accuracy of the dating can be affected by several factors, such as the presence of other elements that can affect the decay rate of potassium-40, or the loss of argon-40 during the formation of the rock.

5. How does Argon radioactive decay dating contribute to our understanding of Earth's history?

Argon radioactive decay dating is an important tool in determining the age of rocks and minerals, providing valuable information about the timing of geological events and the evolution of Earth's surface. It has been used to date some of the oldest rocks on Earth, helping scientists to piece together the timeline of our planet's history.