Arithmetic progression topology, Z not compact

In summary, the Dirichlet Prime Number Theorem indicates that if a and b are relatively prime, then the arithmetic progression A_{a,b} = \{ ...,a−2b,a−b,a,a+b,a+2b,...\} contains infinitely many prime numbers. Z in the arithmetic progression topology is not compact. The attempt at a solution found that moving the open cover to the left or right does not work, so the cover must include the hole -1. Homework equations state that a basis for the topology over Z is the set of all arithmetic sequences. I do not know what an arithmetic progression topology is, but I think I can figure it
ArcanaNoir

Homework Statement

The Dirichlet Prime Number Theorem indicates that if a and b are relatively prime, then the arithmetic progression [itex]A_{a,b} = \{ ...,a−2b,a−b,a,a+b,a+2b,...\}[/itex] contains infinitely many prime numbers. Use this result to prove that Z in the arithmetic progression topology is not compact

Homework Equations

A basis for The arithmetic progression topology is given by [itex]B=\{A_{a,b}\mid a,b\in \mathbb{Z} \textrm{ and } b\ne 0 \}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to answer the question using the given result. My thoughts were to let the open cover be [itex]\cup A_{0,p}[/itex] where p is prime but that leaves out -1, 0, and 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually 0 is also included in that cover, right?

When you write the cover like that, it's not obvious at all which arithmetic progression you should use to "pluck the hole". But maybe if you move it one step to left or right...

Does [tex] \cup A_{0,p} \cup A_{1,25}\cup A_{-1,35}[/tex] work? On the surface I think it does...

There you go.
You found a branch of math where I can't help you anymore. :wink:
Perhaps you can explain it to me?

I like Serena said:
There you go.
You found a branch of math where I can't help you anymore. :wink:
Perhaps you can explain it to me?

Oh crap!
You know what a topology is, right?

ArcanaNoir said:
Oh crap!
You know what a topology is, right?

Yes.
But I do not know yet what an arithmetic progression topology is.

Do you know what a basis for a topology is?

ArcanaNoir said:
Do you know what a basis for a topology is?

I just looked it up.
When I tried to apply it to ##\mathbb R##, I guess a basis for it is the the set of all open intervals.

Right. :) I don't much like the non-standard topologies. Finding the open sets can be non-intuitive.

Ah well, much of mathematics is realizing how things work in obvious cases, and then try to generalize it to less obvious cases. ;)

Take say ##A_{1,5}##. That contains an infinite number of primes. Now take ##A_{3,5}##. That also contains an infinite number of primes. All of the primes in the first sequence are 1 mod 5. All of the primes in the second sequence are 3 mod 5. Now here's the hint. None of the primes in the second sequence are contained in the first. Let the first set in the cover be ##A_{1,5}## and add another one, then use things like ##A_{0,p}## to "plug the holes" which you know exist. Hint concludes.

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
I just looked it up.
When I tried to apply it to ##\mathbb R##, I guess a basis for it is the the set of all open intervals.

The basis for the topology over Z is all arithmetic sequences. This has nothing to do with open intervals. The sets in the topology just subsets of integers. Not reals.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Take say ##A_{1,5}##. That contains an infinite number of primes. Now take ##A_{3,5}##. That also contains an infinite number of primes. All of the primes in the first sequence are 1 mod 5. All of the primes in the second sequence are 3 mod 5. Now here's the hint. None of the primes in the second sequence are contained in the first. Let the first set in the cover be ##A_{1,5}## and add another one, then use things like ##A_{0,p}## to "plug the holes" which you know exist. Hint concludes.

Thanks! I think I have it from here now :)

Dick said:
The basis for the topology over Z is all arithmetic sequences. This has nothing to do with open intervals. The sets in the topology just subsets of integers. Not reals.

We were talking about standard topology on R, it was a side comment, not related to the problem. :)

ArcanaNoir said:
We were talking about standard topology on R, it was a side comment, not related to the problem. :)

Oh crap!
My reputation on PF is dwindling already.

And I still don't know what an arithmetic progression topology is. :cry:

I like Serena said:
Oh crap!

Maybe use unions of finite intersection of the basic numbers to generate a few open sets.

I like Serena said:
Oh crap!

Oh, you can figure this out ILS. Look up defining a topology by a basis. The basis sets are just arithmetic sequences. If you are working over R, then the arithmetic progression topology is just the discrete topology. Try and prove that. Now over the integers Z, it's different. Just work through it. Understanding what it is is not as hard as proving it's not compact.

Is there some kind of reputation meter you are watching? Because your reputation is fine with me.

And anyway, the arithmetic sequence topology is not really something everyone knows. It's an nonstandard exotic topology used for making challenging topology problems.

Last edited:

Related to Arithmetic progression topology, Z not compact

1. What is Arithmetic Progression Topology?

Arithmetic Progression Topology is a type of topological space in which the open sets are defined by arithmetic progressions of positive integers. It is often used in the study of number theory and is an example of a non-Hausdorff topology.

2. How is Arithmetic Progression Topology constructed?

To construct Arithmetic Progression Topology, we start with the set of all positive integers and define the open sets as the sets that can be written as the union of arithmetic progressions. These open sets form a basis for the topology, allowing us to define the open sets for any given point.

3. What does it mean for Z to not be compact in Arithmetic Progression Topology?

If Z, the set of all integers, is not compact in Arithmetic Progression Topology, it means that there is no finite subcover for the set. In other words, we cannot find a finite number of open sets that cover the entire space. This is because the open sets in Arithmetic Progression Topology are infinite and cannot be reduced to a finite number.

4. How is compactness related to the concept of convergence in this topology?

In Arithmetic Progression Topology, compactness is closely related to convergence. A sequence of points in this topology converges to a point if and only if every open set containing that point contains all but finitely many terms of the sequence. Compactness is a stronger condition than convergence, as it requires the sequence to converge for all possible open sets, not just a specific one.

5. What are some real-world applications of Arithmetic Progression Topology?

Arithmetic Progression Topology has applications in number theory, specifically in the study of prime numbers and their distribution. It has also been used in the field of dynamical systems to model certain chaotic systems. Additionally, this topology has been studied in relation to the Riemann Hypothesis, a famous unsolved problem in mathematics.