Arrhenius Equation - Chemical Kinetics

In summary, the conversation focused on determining the rate constant for the decomposition of N2O5 at 20°C. The original calculation used the Arrhenius Equation without units, resulting in an incorrect answer. After correcting for units, the correct answer was obtained.
vertciel
Hello everyone,

I am having trouble with determining where I erred in the following exercise. If someone could point out my mistake, I would appreciate the help.

Thank you!

---

1. The decomposition of N2O5 has an activation energy of 103 kJ/mol and a frequency factor of [tex] 4.3E13 s^-1 [/tex]. What is the rate constant for this decomposition at 20°C?

---

I simply substituted the given values into the Arrhenius Equation (omitting units to save time in typing):

[tex] k = Ae^{\frac{-E_a}{RT}}[/tex]

[tex] k = 4.3E13 \times e^{\cfrac{-103}{8.314 \times 293 K}}[/tex]

[tex] k = 4.1E13 1/s[/tex]

---

However, the given answer is:
1.9E-5 1/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you *sure* you're using the right units, since you omitted them in your original post? What units are you using for the gas constant? Activation energy? Temperature?

I would go back and check them again.

P.S. - I think these sorts of questions belong in the Homework Help section (even if it's not technically a homework question, it very strongly resembles one, at least IMO.)

Thanks for your reply, Mike H.

I apologise; I didn't realize that this was the correct forum. If someone could please move this to the Homework Help section, that would be appreciated.

I have rewritten my work with units:

[tex] k = 4.3E13 \frac{1}{s} \times e^{\cfrac{-103 \frac{kJ}{mol}}{8314 \frac{kJ}{K mol} \times 293 K}}[/tex]

[tex] k = 4.3E13 \frac{1}{s} [/tex]

I get a different answer, but one that is still incorrect.

R is 8.314J K-1 mol-1 = 0.008314 kJ K-1 mol-1.

[edit: thanks GCT]

Last edited:
You're one decimal place off.

Thank you very much for your help!

1. What is the Arrhenius Equation?

The Arrhenius Equation is a mathematical formula that relates the rate of a chemical reaction to the temperature and activation energy of the reaction. It was developed by chemist Svante Arrhenius in the late 19th century and is widely used in chemical kinetics to study the effect of temperature on reaction rates.

2. How is the Arrhenius Equation used in chemical kinetics?

The Arrhenius Equation is used to determine the rate constant of a reaction at different temperatures. It helps scientists understand the relationship between temperature and reaction rate, and can be used to predict how changes in temperature will affect the rate of a reaction.

3. What is the significance of the activation energy in the Arrhenius Equation?

The activation energy is the minimum amount of energy required for a chemical reaction to occur. In the Arrhenius Equation, it is represented by the term "Ea" and is a measure of the difficulty of a reaction. A higher activation energy means the reaction is less likely to occur, while a lower activation energy means the reaction is more likely to occur.

4. What are the units for the rate constant in the Arrhenius Equation?

The units for the rate constant in the Arrhenius Equation vary depending on the specific reaction being studied. However, the most common units are moles per liter per second (mol/L/s) or inverse seconds (1/s).

5. What are the limitations of the Arrhenius Equation?

The Arrhenius Equation is based on the assumption that the reaction follows a simple two-step process and that the reaction rate is only affected by temperature. In reality, many reactions are more complex and can be affected by other factors such as pressure and the presence of catalysts. Additionally, the Arrhenius Equation may not accurately predict the rate of a reaction at very high or very low temperatures.