Arrhenius equation problem - converting equations

In summary, the two equations seem to be trying to do the same thing, but I am not sure how to convert from one to the other.
eva m
Hi there

I've been trying to work this out and didn't quite succeed, so I'm hoping someone might help me out a bit.

I've been using the Arrhenius equation to calculate reaction rates at 2 temperatures, so I took the integral and got k2/k1 = e^(Ea/R(1/T1 - 1/T2))
This paper I've been reading (doing similar things as I am) is however suggesting the following equation:
k2/k1 = (T2+460)/(T1+460) * 10^((-394)*H*(1/(T2+460)-1/(T1+460)))

The second equation isn't using SI units, so temperatures are in F and entalphy is in kcal.

I've been trying to convert the second equation into the first one (or vice versa) to check everything is OK and I can't get it to work. My main problem is the first part, (T2+460)/(T1+460).
My calc is a bit rusty, so I'm not sure where I'm going wrong (or if the problem is elsewhere)...

Would really appreciate some help. Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
No idea what you have integrated.

[tex]k_1 = e^{\frac {E_a} {RT_1}}[/tex]

[tex]k_2 = e^{\frac {E_a} {RT_2}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac {k_1} {k_2} = \frac {e^{\frac {E_a} {RT_1}}} {e^{\frac {E_a} {RT_2}}}[/tex]

Just rearrange right side.

I don't see where (T2+460)/(T1+460) could come from (that is, 460 is conversion between Fahrenheit and Rankine scale, but ratio of temperatures before exponential part doesn't make sense to me).

Or are you trying to do something completely different?

Thanks for the reply!

Well integrating (and setting T1 & T2 as borders) the equation might be complicating things a bit, but you essentially get the same thing...

Yes, the temperature ratio is what I don't understand, as I have no idea where it could've come from. All the paper says is "Transition State Theory can accurately describe the effect of temperature changes on reaction rates. The equation for the relative rate of reaction at two (Fahrenheit) temperatures T1 and T2 is ..." (and that's the equation I wrote earlier)
- which is not the transition state theory I know, but I might be wrong...

Any ideas?

1. What is the Arrhenius equation?

The Arrhenius equation is a mathematical equation that relates the rate of a chemical reaction to its temperature and activation energy. It was developed by Swedish chemist Svante Arrhenius in the late 19th century.

2. How do you convert the Arrhenius equation to different units?

To convert the Arrhenius equation to different units, you need to first identify the units used in the original equation. Then, use conversion factors or equations to convert the units to the desired form. For example, to convert from Kelvin to Celsius, you can use the equation: °C = K - 273.15

3. Can the Arrhenius equation be used for all types of chemical reactions?

The Arrhenius equation is most commonly used for reactions that involve the breaking and forming of chemical bonds. It may not be as accurate for reactions that involve complex mechanisms or multiple steps.

4. What is the significance of the activation energy in the Arrhenius equation?

The activation energy in the Arrhenius equation represents the minimum amount of energy required for a chemical reaction to occur. It is a measure of the barrier that must be overcome for the reaction to take place.

5. How does temperature affect the rate of a reaction according to the Arrhenius equation?

According to the Arrhenius equation, as temperature increases, the rate of a reaction also increases. This is because an increase in temperature provides more energy to the reacting molecules, allowing them to overcome the activation energy barrier more easily and react more quickly.