ASCII Code for B7.CFWhat is the ASCII code for the hexadecimal number B7.CF?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the ASCII code for the hexadecimal number B7.CF, which is a question given on a computer science problem sheet. The individual is unsure of how to approach the problem and asks for clarification on the meaning of "ASCII code." They also share their potential solution of converting the hexadecimal number to binary and then concatenating the resulting binary numbers, but are unsure about the expected answer. The other person responds by suggesting that the answer may require 5 decimal integers in the range of 0 to 127, each representing an ASCII character.
Panphobia

Homework Statement

Give the ASCII code for the hexadecimal number B7.CF (including the code for the hexadecimal point)

The Attempt at a Solution

This was one of the questions given on a problem sheet in my computer science class. I missed the exact lecture when this was taught so I don't know exactly what to do, but I have a few ideas. When getting the ASCII code does the question mean the binary representation? If so do you just concatenate the binary numbers you get? So like this 0100 0010 0011 0111 0010 1110 0100 0011 0100 0110

Physics news on Phys.org
There are 5 standard ASCII characters in that string, so I think the answer expects 5 numbers, each number being a decimal integer in the range 0..127 and being the ASCII representation of one character.

What is a hexadecimal number?

A hexadecimal number is a base-16 number system that uses 16 symbols, 0-9 and A-F, to represent numbers. Each digit in a hexadecimal number has a value of 16 raised to a power, starting from 0 on the right.

How do you convert a hexadecimal number to ASCII code?

To convert a hexadecimal number to ASCII code, you need to know the ASCII code chart and the corresponding hexadecimal values for each character. Then, you can simply match the hexadecimal digits to their corresponding ASCII codes.

Can all characters be represented by a hexadecimal number?

Yes, all characters can be represented by a hexadecimal number. The ASCII code chart includes 128 characters, and each character has a corresponding hexadecimal value.

What is the purpose of converting a hexadecimal number to ASCII code?

Converting a hexadecimal number to ASCII code allows for easy representation and manipulation of characters in a computer system. It also allows for efficient communication between different systems and devices.

Are there any limitations to converting a hexadecimal number to ASCII code?

There are some limitations to converting a hexadecimal number to ASCII code, as some characters may not have a direct representation in the ASCII code chart. Additionally, if the hexadecimal number is too large, it may not be able to be represented by a single ASCII code.