Asking for letter of recommendation from current professor?

In summary, the person is asking whether it would be beneficial or detrimental to ask a professor they have only known for one semester for a letter of recommendation for graduate school applications. They are unsure because the professor is not very familiar with their academic performance outside of a few tests and homework.
mattwags2077
Hey there,

So I am getting my letters of recommendation but unfortunately I am one of those students that is way too shy for my own good. Anyway due to some changes in my school one of the professors who usually only teaches graduate classes is teaching an undergraduate class for me so this is the first semester I have met him or had him.

My question is would it be beneficial or detrimental for me to ask him for a letter? He is the first professor I have had outside of my research that I actually will talk to consistently, but he is not all that familiar with my academic performance outside of a few tests and homework from this semester. I could just ask a professor I received an A in their class, but I am concerned of the cliche letter for professors that don't know the student well.

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are not saying what you need the letter of recommendation for. This might be a significant piece of information.

Orodruin said:
You are not saying what you need the letter of recommendation for. This might be a significant piece of information.
My bad this is for graduate school, applying for PhD

What is the best way to ask for a letter of recommendation from my current professor?

The best way to ask for a letter of recommendation is to schedule a meeting with your professor and politely explain why you need the letter and what you hope to achieve with it. Be sure to give your professor enough time to write the letter and provide them with all the necessary information, such as your resume, transcripts, and specific details about the program or job you are applying to.

Can I ask for a letter of recommendation via email?

It is generally not recommended to ask for a letter of recommendation via email, as it can come across as impersonal and may not give your professor enough time to write a thoughtful letter. However, if meeting in person is not possible, you can send a polite and well-written email explaining your request and providing all the necessary information.

What should I do if my current professor declines to write a letter of recommendation for me?

If your current professor declines to write a letter of recommendation, don't take it personally. They may be too busy or may not feel comfortable writing a strong letter for you. In this case, you can ask another professor or a previous professor who knows you well and can speak to your academic abilities and character.

Should I remind my current professor about the letter of recommendation?

It is not necessary to remind your current professor about the letter of recommendation unless they have specifically asked you to do so. However, it is a good idea to check in with them a few weeks before the letter is due to ensure that they have all the necessary information and to thank them for their time and effort.

Is it appropriate to offer to write a draft of the letter of recommendation for my current professor?

No, it is not appropriate to offer to write a draft of the letter of recommendation for your current professor. It is their responsibility to write the letter and it is important for it to be in their own words. However, you can provide them with a list of your achievements and experiences that you would like them to highlight in the letter.