Associated Legendre Function with Angles

In summary: Yes, one has to manage the range of the angles. I don't think we'd have much luck trying to manage angels.Yes I had a typo. I will try to edit it. The question remains.No, that's not what it says. Instead, it's ##\sqrt{1 - x^2}##. This is a standard substitution used in trig substitution in integrals.
bryanso
Homework Statement
In Associated Legendre Function with Angles ... why is the following argument used?
Relevant Equations
## \sqrt{1 - x^2} = sin\,\theta ##
In Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Legendre_polynomials, Section Reparameterization in terms of angles, I see this argument:

Let ## x = cos\,\theta ##

## \sqrt{1 - x^2} = sin\,\theta ##

This is also in Griffiths' Introduction to Quantum Mechanics.

Why is this a valid argument?

The LHS is always positive. The RHS is sometimes positive and sometimes negative. ##\theta = -1## makes it wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, one has to manage the range of the angels. For ##\theta > \pi## we need the negative root. I assume that most applications have angels from ##[0,\pi]## and in the other case: switch to the opposite orientation of the coordinate system. The problem only occurs if angels occur in both ranges.

Thanks!

bryanso said:
Homework Statement:: In Associated Legendre Function with Angles ... why is the following argument used?
Relevant Equations:: ## \sqrt{(1 - x)^2} = sin\,\theta ##

In Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Legendre_polynomials, Section Reparameterization in terms of angles, I see this argument:

Let ## x = cos\,\theta ##

## \sqrt{(1 - x)^2} = sin\,\theta ##
No, that's not what it says. Instead, it's ##\sqrt{1 - x^2}##. This is a standard substitution used in trig substitution in integrals.

You also have the same incorrect equation in your Relevant Equations.
bryanso said:
This is also in Griffiths' Introduction to Quantum Mechanics.

Why is this a valid argument?

The LHS is always positive. The RHS is sometimes positive and sometimes negative. ##\theta = -1## makes it wrong.

fresh_42 said:
Yes, one has to manage the range of the angels.
It's better to manage the range of the angles. I don't think we'd have much luck trying to manage angels.

Likes fresh_42
Yes I had a typo. I will try to edit it. The question remains.

Mark44 said:
No, that's not what it says. Instead, it's ##\sqrt{1 - x^2}##. This is a standard substitution used in trig substitution in integrals.

You also have the same incorrect equation in your Relevant Equations.

Thanks. I have edited the equations.

The range of ##\theta## in spherical coordinates (which is where the associated Legendre functions are used) is 0 to ##\pi##. Therefore ##\sin(\theta)## is always positive.

Likes vela, vanhees71 and marcusl
Orodruin said:
The range of ##\theta## in spherical coordinates (which is where the associated Legendre functions are used) is 0 to ##\pi##. Therefore ##\sin(\theta)## is always positive.
Put differently, the domain of the associated Legendre functions (just as that of the Legendre polynomials) is [-1,1]. This is why ##x = \cos\theta## works so well with ##\theta \in [0,\pi]## (and, consequently, ##\sin\theta \geq 0##).

Likes vela

1. What is an Associated Legendre Function with Angles?

The Associated Legendre Function with Angles is a mathematical function that is used to describe the angular component of the solution to Laplace's equation in spherical coordinates. It is a generalization of the Legendre polynomials and is commonly used in physics and engineering.

2. How is the Associated Legendre Function with Angles calculated?

The Associated Legendre Function with Angles can be calculated using a series expansion or through the use of recurrence relations. It can also be computed using specialized software or mathematical libraries.

3. What are the applications of the Associated Legendre Function with Angles?

The Associated Legendre Function with Angles is used in various fields such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid mechanics. It is also used in the analysis of spherical harmonics, which are important in the study of planetary motion and heat transfer.

4. What is the relationship between the Associated Legendre Function with Angles and Legendre polynomials?

The Associated Legendre Function with Angles is a generalization of the Legendre polynomials. It includes an additional variable, the angle, which allows for the solution of more complex problems. When the angle variable is set to zero, the Associated Legendre Function with Angles reduces to the Legendre polynomials.

5. Are there any special properties of the Associated Legendre Function with Angles?

Yes, the Associated Legendre Function with Angles has several special properties, such as orthogonality and normalization, which make it useful for solving differential equations. It also has a specific symmetry property, known as conjugate symmetry, which is important in the study of spherical harmonics.