Group theory -- show H is a subgroup of O(2)

In summary, the homework statement is as follows:Homework Equations:Calculate ##R(\theta) R(\phi)##, ##R(\theta) X(\phi)## and ##X(\theta) X(\phi)##, express answers in terms of R and X. Show H forms a subgroup of ##O(2)##.
Kara386

Homework Statement

Let ##R(\theta) = \left( \begin{array}{cc}
\cos(\theta) & -\sin(\theta)\\
\sin(\theta)& \cos(\theta)\\ \end{array} \right) \in O(2)## represent a rotation through angle ##\theta##, and

##X(\theta) = \left( \begin{array}{cc}
\cos(\theta) & \sin(\theta)\\
\sin(\theta)& -\cos(\theta)\\ \end{array} \right) \in O(2)## represent reflection around ##\frac{\theta}{2}##. Let m be a positive integer and H be the set such that ##H = \{R(\frac{2q\pi}{m}), X(\frac{2q\pi}{m}) | q = 0, 1, 2..., m-1\}##.

Calculate ##R(\theta)R(\phi)##, ##R(\theta)X(\phi)## and ##X(\theta)X(\phi)##, express answers in terms of R and X. Show H forms a subgroup of ##O(2)##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##R(\theta) R(\phi) =
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
\cos(\theta+\phi) & -\sin(\theta+\phi)\\
\sin(\theta+\phi)& \cos(\theta+\phi)\\ \end{array} \right) = R(\theta + \phi)##

##R(\theta) X(\phi) =
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
\cos(\theta+\phi) & \sin(\theta+\phi)\\
\sin(\theta+\phi)& -\cos(\theta+\phi)\\ \end{array} \right) = X(\theta + \phi)##

##R(\theta) X(\phi) = R(\theta - \phi)##

I'm not really sure of the significance of these calculations, or if there is one. Does this have a geometric interpretation? I've been told that the set ##O(2)## is somehow related to the permutation of 3 points but haven't been able to find out why.
To show it's a subgroup of O(2) I have to show ##R \times X \in O(2)## where ##\times## is matrix multiplication and ##a^{-1} \in H##. Do I need to use the argument ##\frac{2q\pi}{m}## in these calculations? So for example let ##a = R(\frac{2q\pi}{m})##. Any help is very much appreciated, thank you! :)

I've gone ahead and attempted the problem with the argument above, and set a = R, b = X. I've already calculated RX to be ##= R(\theta - \phi)## above: ## =
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
\cos(0) & \sin(0)\\
\sin(0)& -\cos(0)\\ \end{array} \right)
=
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
1& 0\\
0 & 1\\ \end{array} \right)##
I wasn't really expecting to get the identity matrix, I suppose I show it's part of O(2) by showing ##A^T A = I ## and of course, it is a real 2x2 matrix.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To prove that it is a subgroup, you have to show that it is a subset of O(2) that satisfies all the group axioms. That it is a subset of O(2) should be clear so you need to show that the group axioms are satisfied.

Likes Kara386
Orodruin said:
To prove that it is a subgroup, you have to show that it is a subset of O(2) that satisfies all the group axioms. That it is a subset of O(2) should be clear so you need to show that the group axioms are satisfied.
By multiplying the two elements and showing they are part of ##O(2)## I'm not demonstrating closure then? I should actually show they are part of ##H##? Matrix multiplication is associative, the identity is ##
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
1& 0\\
0 & 1\\ \end{array} \right)## and since ##RX = I ## the implication is that ## R = X^{-1}## and ##X = R^{-1}##, so the inverses both exist and are part of H. Does this demonstrate that the subset is a subgroup? Or group (not sure of the difference actually)? It certainly satisfies group axioms, so that makes it a subgroup?

Kara386 said:
By multiplying the two elements and showing they are part of ##O(2)## I'm not demonstrating closure then?
This is only the closure of ##O(2)##, not of ##H##.
I should actually show they are part of ##H##?
Yes.
Matrix multiplication is associative, the identity is ##
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
1& 0\\
0 & 1\\ \end{array} \right)## and since ##RX = I ## the implication is that ## R = X^{-1}## and ##X = R^{-1}##, so the inverses both exist and are part of H. Does this demonstrate that the subset is a subgroup?
Yes. But you also have to show ##R(\theta) \cdot X(\phi) \in H\, , \,R(\theta) \cdot R(\phi) \in H\; , \;X(\theta) \cdot X(\phi) \in H## and ##X(\phi) \cdot R(\theta) \in H## for all ##\theta, \phi##.
Or group (not sure of the difference actually)? It certainly satisfies group axioms, so that makes it a subgroup?
For a subgroup, you need to show ##a\cdot b^{-1} \in H## for all ##a\, , \,b \in H##. Associativity is inherited. (Of course you can as well show ##a\cdot b \in H\, , \,a^{-1} \in H\; , \;1 \in H## separately but ##a\cdot b^{-1} \in H## does it all in one step.) However, it has to be shown for all ##a,b \in H##, which means all pairs ## (a,b) \in \{R(\theta),X(\phi)\}^2## in this case.

I'm not sure about the connection to permutations you mentioned. (There is one for its tangent space but I don't know about the group itself. On the other hand it's full of symmetries as you have already calculated above.)

Likes Kara386
Kara386 said:
I should actually show they are part of HHH?
Yes. If the subset is not closed under the multiplication, it is not a group of its own.

Kara386 said:
By multiplying the two elements and showing they are part of ##O(2)## I'm not demonstrating closure then? I should actually show they are part of ##H##? Matrix multiplication is associative, the identity is ##
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
1& 0\\
0 & 1\\ \end{array} \right)## and since ##RX = I ## the implication is that ## R = X^{-1}## and ##X = R^{-1}##, so the inverses both exist and are part of H. Does this demonstrate that the subset is a subgroup? Or group (not sure of the difference actually)? It certainly satisfies group axioms, so that makes it a subgroup?
What are your R and X here? The inverse of a rotation is not a reflection.

Likes Kara386
Orodruin said:
Yes. If the subset is not closed under the multiplication, it is not a group of its own.What are your R and X here? The inverse of a rotation is not a reflection.
Couldn't rotation through ##\theta## undo a reflection through ##\frac{\theta}{2}## in a few cases? I'm not at all sure how this whole thing relates to geometry. What exactly is being rotated or reflected? Or do these matrices just result in rotation or reflection when applied to other matrices or vectors?

Look in a mirror. Can you reverse the change of left and right by a rotation? Reflections change the orientation, rotations don't. Or in terms of the matrix group here: one has determinant ##-1##, the other on ##1##.

Likes Kara386
Kara386 said:
Couldn't rotation through ##\theta## undo a reflection through ##\frac{\theta}{2}## in a few cases? I'm not at all sure how this whole thing relates to geometry. What exactly is being rotated or reflected? Or do these matrices just result in rotation or reflection when applied to other matrices or vectors?
Try taking the determinant of ##RX## ... The inverse of a rotation by ##\theta## is a rotation by ##-\theta## (or equivalently, by ##2\pi-\theta##).

Likes Kara386
So ##RX## shouldn't actually be equal to ##I## then? I've probably made a mistake, I'll check. I suppose I was thinking of highly symmetric things like circles, which aren't really changed by these things, when I say rotation could undo reflection, but only in some few cases.

fresh_42 said:
This is only the closure of ##O(2)##, not of ##H##.
For a subgroup, you need to show ##a\cdot b^{-1} \in H## for all ##a\, , \,b \in H##. Associativity is inherited. (Of course you can as well show ##a\cdot b \in H\, , \,a^{-1} \in H\; , \;1 \in H## separately but ##a\cdot b^{-1} \in H## does it all in one step.) However, it has to be shown for all ##a,b \in H##, which means all pairs ## (a,b) \in \{R(\theta),X(\phi)\}^2## in this case.
But aren't both theta and phi defined in H as being ##\frac{2q\pi}{m}##? I'd shown that ##R(\theta)X(\phi) = R(\theta - \phi)##, so ##R(\frac{2q\pi}{m})X(\frac{2q\pi}{m}) = R(\frac{2q\pi}{m}- \frac{2q\pi}{m}) = R(0)##, which I thought would be
##R(0) = \left( \begin{array}{cc}
1& 0\\
I'm also not completely sure what that last bit of notation means: ## (a,b) \in \{R(\theta),X(\phi)\}^2##
Why is this bracket squared?

Kara386 said:
But aren't both theta and phi defined in H as being ##\frac{2q\pi}{m}##?
So? This doesn't change my argument, only the amount of possible angles.
I'd shown that ##R(\theta)X(\phi) = R(\theta - \phi)##, so ##R(\frac{2q\pi}{m})X(\frac{2q\pi}{m}) = R(\frac{2q\pi}{m}- \frac{2q\pi}{m}) = R(0)##, which I thought would be
##R(0) = \left( \begin{array}{cc}
1& 0\\
There might be a mistake in here. Check the determinants. And, yes, an equation like this would do the job. But you still have to cover the possibility of different angles ##\frac{2q\pi}{m}## and ##\frac{2p\pi}{m}## in ##R(\frac{2q\pi}{m})## and ##X(\frac{2p\pi}{m})##. And what happens with ##R \cdot R' \, , \, X \cdot X' \, , \, X\cdot R\,##? The latter because ##H## is eventually not Abelian. (You haven't checked this.)
I'm also not completely sure what that last bit of notation means: ## (a,b) \in \{R(\theta),X(\phi)\}^2##
Why is this bracket squared?
It means ## (a,b) \in \{R(\theta),X(\phi)\} \times \{R(\theta),X(\phi)\} = \{R(\theta),X(\phi)\}^2## or ##a,b \in \{R(\theta),X(\phi)\}## or ##(a \in \{R(\theta),X(\phi)\} ## and ## b \in \{R(\theta),X(\phi)\})##. These are significantly more cases as only ##RX##.

Likes Kara386
fresh_42 said:
So? This doesn't change my argument, only the amount of possible angles.

Ah. I hadn't realized the angles could be different, I assumed it would always be ##\theta = \phi = \frac{2q\pi}{m}##, but I see why that's not the case. A shame, it made life that much easier. So what I've worked out is only for the case of ##\theta = \phi##. Back to the drawing board!

I'll try that again and see where I get to. Your time and help is much appreciated, thank you! :)

1. What is group theory?

Group theory is a mathematical concept that studies the algebraic structures known as groups. A group is a set of elements that follow certain rules or axioms for combining the elements together. These rules include closure, associativity, identity, and inverses.

2. What is O(2)?

O(2) is a notation used to represent the group of all 2x2 orthogonal matrices, also known as the group of rotations and reflections in 2-dimensional space. This group has properties such as closure, associativity, and identity, making it an example of an abstract group.

3. How is H defined in relation to O(2)?

H is said to be a subgroup of O(2) if it is a subset of O(2) and also satisfies the same group axioms as O(2). In other words, the elements of H must also be orthogonal matrices and follow the same rules of combining elements as O(2).

4. How can you show that H is a subgroup of O(2)?

To show that H is a subgroup of O(2), we must first show that H is a subset of O(2). This can be done by demonstrating that all elements of H are also orthogonal matrices. Next, we must show that H also satisfies the group axioms of closure, associativity, identity, and inverses. This can be done by performing operations on elements of H and showing that the results are also in H.

5. Why is it important to show that H is a subgroup of O(2)?

Showing that H is a subgroup of O(2) is important because it helps us understand the properties and relationships between different groups. It also allows us to apply theorems and concepts from group theory to H, which can help us solve problems and make predictions about the elements in H. Additionally, understanding subgroups can provide insights into the structure and behavior of larger groups, such as O(2).