Associated Legendre polynomial (I think)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the spherical wave equation φ(t, θ, Φ) and its solution. The first part of the problem involves calculating φ(0, θ, Φ) and ##\frac{\partial φ}{\partial t}##(0, θ, Φ) in terms of Anm and Bnm. The second part involves finding the initial values of φ and ##\frac{\partial φ}{\partial t}## and using them to determine the values of Anm and Bnm. The conversation highlights difficulties in evaluating ##Y_{3}^{-2}## and finding the corresponding values of Anm.
whatisreality

Homework Statement

I'm not 100% sure what this type of problem is called, we weren't really told, so I'm having trouble looking it up. I'd really appreciate any resources that show solved examples, or how to find some!

Anyway. For the solution to the spherical wave equation φ(t, θ, Φ)
i) Calculate φ( 0, θ, Φ) and ##\frac{\partial φ}{\partial t}##(0, θ, Φ) in terms of Anm and Bnm.

ii)Let the initial value of φ be given by φ( 0, θ, Φ) = ##Y_{3}^{-2}##
and
##\frac{\partial φ}{\partial t}##(0, θ, Φ) = 16##Y_{2}^{2}##

Homework Equations

##P_{n}^{m}(z) = \frac{1}{2^n n!}(1-z^2)^{0.5m} \frac{d^(n+m)}{dz^(n+m)}(z^2-1)^n## (1)

##Y_{n}^{m}(\theta, \phi) = (\frac{2n+1}{4 \pi} \frac{(n-m)!}{(n+m)!})^{0.5} e^{im \phi}P_{n}^{m}(cosθ)## (2)

General solution:
φ = ΣΣ ##A_{nm} cos(t \sqrt{n(n+1)}) + B_{nm}sin(t \sqrt{n(n+1)})##

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I've done part one.
φ( 0, θ, Φ) = ΣΣ ##A_{nm}Y_{n}^{m}(\theta, \phi)## from just subbing in t= 0 to the general solution.

##\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t}(0,\theta,\phi) =##ΣΣ##B_{nm} \sqrt{n(n+1)}Y_{n}^{m}(\theta, \phi)##

But for part two, I don't know what to do with the initial values! If φ( 0, θ, Φ) = ##Y_{3}^{-2}## then does that mean m = -2 and n = 3 for the whole equation? Presumably not or ##A_{nm}## = 0.

And I can't actually evaluate ##Y_{3}^{-2}##. Because subbing m and n into equation two means I have to also work out P from equation 1. So sub in z = cosθ in this case, but how can I differentiate with respect to cosθ? That doesn't make sense!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
OK, worked out how to evaluate ##Y_{3}^{-2}##, and got it equals ##\sqrt{210} e^{(-2i \theta)} \frac{cos(\theta)sin(\theta)^2}{8}##, which is the equal to
∑∑ ##A_{nm}Y_{n}^{m}##
Where the first sum is from n=0 to infinity and the second is from m=-n to n. So I don't know how to find ##A_{nm}## from that?

1. What is an Associated Legendre Polynomial?

An Associated Legendre Polynomial is a mathematical function used to express the relationship between spherical coordinates and Cartesian coordinates. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the shape of 3D objects.

2. How is an Associated Legendre Polynomial different from a Legendre Polynomial?

An Associated Legendre Polynomial is a generalization of a Legendre Polynomial, which is a simpler version that only describes a relationship between two variables. An Associated Legendre Polynomial includes an additional variable, typically used to describe spherical coordinates.

3. What is the significance of the "associated" in Associated Legendre Polynomial?

The term "associated" refers to the fact that an Associated Legendre Polynomial is not only a function of the variable being described, but also of the additional variable that is used to express spherical coordinates. This allows for a more comprehensive description of 3D objects.

4. What are the main applications of Associated Legendre Polynomials?

Associated Legendre Polynomials are commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the shape of 3D objects, such as planets, satellites, and molecules. They are also used in quantum mechanics to solve certain differential equations.

5. Are there any special properties of Associated Legendre Polynomials?

Yes, Associated Legendre Polynomials have several special properties, including orthogonality, recursion, and symmetry. These properties make them useful in mathematical calculations and modeling.