Associative, Commutative, and Distributive Laws for Congruence Classes

In summary, the conversation is about proving the associative, commutative, and distributive properties of addition and multiplication of congruence classes for integers. The approach taken is to show that these properties hold for integers, and therefore, can be extended to congruence classes of integers. The conversation also discusses the use of definitions and the need for formal proof to establish equality between sets.
bologna121121

Homework Statement

We are supposed to prove that the addition and multiplication of congruence classes for integers are associative, commutative, and distributive.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

To me, it seems like this would just be trivial as all these properties follow from the fact that we are working with integers, and integers are associative, commutative, and distributive (with both addition and multiplication). Am I on the right track here? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
bologna121121 said:
To me, it seems like this would just be trivial as all these properties follow from the fact that we are working with integers, and integers are associative, commutative, and distributive (with both addition and multiplication). Am I on the right track here? Thanks.
It is fairly trivial, but you still need to show it. A congruence class of integers is not the same thing as an integer. What do you have so far?

I think I have the idea of what to do, but just to be sure I'll try the commutative addition one.

The addition is commutative if [itex]\overline{a}[/itex] + [itex]\overline{b}[/itex] = [itex]\overline{b}[/itex] + [itex]\overline{a}[/itex]

This is the same condition as x + y = y + x for all x [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]\overline{a}[/itex] and all y [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]\overline{b}[/itex] where a,b,x,y are all integers.

Thus, because for any integers x and y, x + y = y + x (commutativity of integers under addition) we would have [itex]\overline{a}[/itex] + [itex]\overline{b}[/itex] = [itex]\overline{b}[/itex] + [itex]\overline{a}[/itex]

Is this more or less the correct approach to take here?

That's more or less right. If you want to be more formal, you might start from the definitions:
$$\overline{a} + \overline{b} = \{x + y : x \in \overline{a}, y \in \overline{b}\}$$
$$\overline{b} + \overline{a} = \{y + x : x \in \overline{a}, y \in \overline{b}\}$$
To show equality of two sets, we show that each contains the other, i.e. ##\overline{a} + \overline{b} \subseteq \overline{b} + \overline{a}## and ##\overline{b} + \overline{a} \subseteq \overline{a} + \overline{b}##. To show the first inclusion, take an arbitrary element of ##\overline{a} + \overline{b}##. By definition, it is of the form ##x + y## with ##x \in \overline{a}## and ##y \in \overline{b}##. By commutativity of integer addition, ##x + y = y + x##, and the right hand side is clearly an element of ##\overline{b} + \overline{a}##. The reverse inclusion is similar.

1. What are the Associative, Commutative, and Distributive Laws for Congruence Classes?

The Associative Law for Congruence Classes states that for any three congruence classes a, b, and c, the following must hold true: a + (b + c) = (a + b) + c. This means that the order in which we add congruence classes does not matter, as long as the total sum remains the same.

The Commutative Law for Congruence Classes states that for any two congruence classes a and b, the following must hold true: a + b = b + a. This means that the order in which we add congruence classes does not matter, as long as the total sum remains the same.

The Distributive Law for Congruence Classes states that for any three congruence classes a, b, and c, the following must hold true: a x (b + c) = (a x b) + (a x c). This means that the distributive property also applies to congruence classes.

2. How are these laws used in mathematics?

These laws are used in various mathematical operations involving congruence classes, such as addition, multiplication, and division. They help us manipulate and simplify equations involving congruence classes, making it easier to solve problems and prove mathematical theorems.

3. Can these laws be applied to any type of numbers?

Yes, these laws can be applied to any type of numbers, including whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, and even complex numbers. As long as the numbers follow the rules of addition, multiplication, and distributivity, these laws can be used.

4. Do these laws have any real-life applications?

Yes, these laws have real-life applications in various fields such as engineering, computer science, and economics. They are used to solve problems involving modular arithmetic, which is used in computer algorithms, cryptography, and data encryption.

5. Are there any exceptions or limitations to these laws?

These laws hold true for most operations involving congruence classes. However, there are some exceptions and limitations, such as division by zero. Additionally, these laws may not apply to other types of mathematical structures, such as rings and fields, which have their own set of rules and properties.