Asteroids and their total energy

In summary: The total energy of an orbiting body is determined by its distance from the central body and the mass of the central body. It is not directly related to the length of the semi-major axis or the radius of the orbit. As for the comparison between Z's semi-major axis and Y's radius, it is not specified in the given information and would need to be measured to find out. In summary, the orbits of three asteroids around a planet are shown on a scale and have equal mass. Questions are asked about the kinetic, potential, and total energies of the asteroids, as well as the relationship between energy and the length of the semi-major axis or radius of an orbit. More information is needed
BadSkittles
http://s9.postimg.org/vejo37agv/physics.jpg for picture

Asteroids X, Y, Z have equal mass (6kg each). They orbit around a planet with M=6×1024kg. The orbits are in the plane of the paper and are drawn to scale. TE, KE and PE represent Total, Kinetic and Potential energies.
Select G-Greater than, L-Less than, or E-Equal to. (If the first is G and the rest L, enter GLLLLLL).

A) The KE of Y at 7 is ... its value at 5.
B) The speed of X at 6 is ... it is at 5.
C) The PE of X at 5 is ... the PE of Y at 5.
D) The PE of X at 5 is ... the PE of Y at 7.
E) The TE of Z is ... the TE of X.
F) The TE of Y is ... the TE of Z.
G) The PE of X at 5 is ... its value at 3.

Hello, guys I've attempted this many times. My most certain answer is ELEELGl. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. I am pressure sure A B C D G are correct. But i am not sure about E and F. I've tried ELEEGLl and ELEEEEl also. Those don't work either.

The unit is on conservation of energy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
BadSkittles said:
E) The TE of Z is ... the TE of X.
F) The TE of Y is ... the TE of Z.
Hello, guys I've attempted this many times. My most certain answer is ELEELGl. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. I am pressure sure A B C D G are correct. But i am not sure about E and F. I've tried ELEEGLl and ELEEEEl also. Those don't work either.

The unit is on conservation of energy.
How is the total energy related to: 1. the length of the semi-major axis of the elliptical orbit or 2. the radius of a circular orbit? Is the semi-major axis of Z greater or less than the radius of Y? You may have to measure this to find out.

AM

1. What are asteroids and where do they come from?

Asteroids are small, rocky objects that orbit around the sun. They are remnants from the early formation of our solar system, and are primarily found in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.

2. How much energy does an asteroid have?

The total energy of an asteroid depends on its size, composition, and speed. On average, an asteroid can have a total energy equivalent to a few megatons of TNT.

3. Can asteroids pose a threat to Earth?

Yes, some asteroids can potentially pose a threat to Earth if they collide with our planet. However, the likelihood of a catastrophic impact is low and scientists are constantly monitoring and tracking potentially hazardous asteroids.

4. What is the difference between a meteor and an asteroid?

A meteor is a small piece of an asteroid or comet that burns up as it enters Earth's atmosphere, creating a streak of light in the sky. An asteroid is a larger object that orbits around the sun.

5. How is the energy of an asteroid measured?

The energy of an asteroid is typically measured in joules (J) or megatons of TNT (Mt). Scientists can estimate the energy of an asteroid by measuring its size, mass, and velocity.