At What Wavelength is the Peak of the Planet's Blackbody Intensity Function?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the peak wavelength of a Jupiter-like planet located 7.5E11 m from a Sun-like star. The necessary equations for Stefan's law and total incident flux are provided, and the steps for finding the total incident flux are explained. The conversation then touches on finding the temperature of the planet using the outgoing flux and using Planck's law to find the wavelength at the peak.
TheCammen

Homework Statement

Imagine you are trying to detect a Jupiter-like planet located 7.5E11 m from a Sun-like star. At what wavelength is the peak of the planet's Planck blackbody intensity function (assume the planet is a perfect blackbody)?

Radius of Planet r = 7E7 m
Radius of Star R = 7E8 m
Temp of Star = 5800 k
Luminosity of Star = 3.8E26 J/s

Homework Equations

Stefan-Boltzman law j = σT^4
Total Incident Flux (σ T^4 r^2) /distance^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, my professor gave me the equation for Stefan's law. He then gave us the task of determining the incident flux upon the planet given by the star on the planet. If the planet is a perfect black body, then the planet will absorb and then emit all this energy. I can go through the steps to show you how I determined the Total Incident Flux equation. But I believe that it's correct.

The problem I am having now is how to change this emission to a wavelength. I feel like I need a nudge in the right direction. Do I need to rearrange Planck's law and solve for wavelength at the temperature of the planet?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you've got there looks like a flux density at the distance of the planet. It's not a total incident flux. Remember the planet only absorbs the flux crossing through it's cross section. Then, sure, equate that to outgoing flux over the whole surface of the planet, assuming it's at a constant temperature. Then you should be able to find the temperature of the planet. Then, also sure, use Planck's law to find the wavelength at the peak.

Thanks! I see how to do it now. I "knew" how to solve it. The concepts just weren't clicking. Gracias!

1. What is incident flux on blackbody?

Incident flux on blackbody refers to the amount of radiation that is incident, or absorbed, by a blackbody object. A blackbody is an idealized object that absorbs all radiation incident upon it, and is often used as a theoretical model in physics and astronomy.

2. How is incident flux on blackbody calculated?

The incident flux on blackbody can be calculated using the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which states that the total energy emitted by a blackbody per unit time is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature. The equation for this is F = σT^4, where F is the incident flux, σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant, and T is the absolute temperature of the blackbody.

3. What is the significance of incident flux on blackbody in astronomy?

Incident flux on blackbody is important in astronomy because it allows us to calculate the amount of energy emitted by celestial objects such as stars, planets, and galaxies. By measuring the incident flux, we can learn important information about the temperature and composition of these objects.

4. What factors affect the incident flux on blackbody?

The main factors that affect the incident flux on blackbody are the temperature of the object and the wavelength of the incident radiation. The higher the temperature, the greater the incident flux, and the shorter the wavelength, the higher the incident flux. Other factors such as the surface area and emissivity of the object also play a role.

5. How is incident flux on blackbody used in practical applications?

Incident flux on blackbody is used in various practical applications, such as in thermodynamics, where it is used to calculate the heat transfer between objects. It is also used in solar energy systems to determine the amount of energy that can be collected from the sun. In addition, it is used in the design and testing of spacecraft and satellites, where the incident flux from the sun can affect their performance.