At which degree a person start making discoveries in physics

In summary: At this point you should be able to make theoretical discoveries, if you have the right knowledge and skills. However, it is not guaranteed and it is a very competitive field. The type and significance of the discoveries you make will depend on your specific research focus and interests. In summary, the likelihood of making a new theoretical discovery in physics increases as you progress in your education, with the best chance being during the PhD program. The type and significance of the discovery will depend on your specific research focus and interests. It is a competitive field and not guaranteed, but with persistence and the right knowledge and skills, it is possible to make a contribution to the field.
ricky33
if I have finished high school can I make a new theoretical discovery in physics with the knowledge of high school ? If yes what kind of discovery it will be ? And if i have finished undergrad in physics can I make a new theoretical discovery ? And the same question what kind of discovery it will be ? And finally after graduate I have all the requirement (knowledge requirement at least) to make theoretical discoveries in physics right ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If a 16 years old discovered a theory on the higgs boson or on quantum mechanics he has a chance to be accepted from people ? Ofcorse if his theory is true

ricky33 said:
If a 16 years old discovered a theory on the higgs boson or on quantum mechanics he has a chance to be accepted from people ? Ofcorse if his theory is true
I would be EXTRAORDINARILY unlikely that a 16 year old would be able to do that so it would be difficult to get serious attention from physicists.

The first step would be to take it to a high school physics prof or maybe someone at a nearby college and see if it makes sense to them.

Well, in general, it's very unlikely. Impossible? No; however, not probable.

Judging from your lack of patience given the second thread on the same topic (first thread being about an hour ago)... less likely.

Are you asking out of curiosity or are you asking because you have a theory in mind?
ricky33 said:
Ofcorse if his theory is true
If it was true and proven, it wouldn't be called a theory :smile:

Of course, this shouldn’t stop you from doing your own research and reading on the topic you’re interested in. I’ve thought about a lot of things only to look into it more and find that it already existed.

A little word of wisdom: you are (probably) not a genius and that's okay. It is nice that you have a passion for physics and math. But mastering those subjects is a marathon, not a sprint. Maybe you will make a huge discovery once, but that's quite unlikely. If you have the right persistance, you can make some minor scientific breakthroughs once, but minor scientific breakthroughs are still awesome. Yes, there are child prodigies, but don't make the mistake of thinking that such people automatically have more pleasure or fulfilled lives. Please, continue reading some books on science in your free time from time to time, they will keep your interests awake and may provide some benefits on the long term. But in the end, it is in school that you have to perform, that's just the way the world works (I'm not saying it's the way it should, but just that it is). Meanwhile, while being patient for your future, it is always a good idea to broaden your worldview, have fun, go to parties etc. before you're too old for those

thephystudent said:
... have fun, go to parties etc. before you're too old for those
Wait ... what? ... you can GET too old for those?

Likes thephystudent
ricky33 said:
if I have finished high school can I make a new theoretical discovery in physics with the knowledge of high school ? If yes what kind of discovery it will be ? And if i have finished undergrad in physics can I make a new theoretical discovery ? And the same question what kind of discovery it will be ? And finally after graduate I have all the requirement (knowledge requirement at least) to make theoretical discoveries in physics right ?

To answer the question that I think you mean to ask, it's normally during the PhD that students begin to start doing original scientific work.

In high school you're building a general education foundation. You have the tools to get into university and if you're advanced, you're probably dipping into first-year university physics by the end of high school. Some students might have the opportunity to do science fair projects, which can get pretty advanced too.

At the undergraduate level, you focus on building a foundation in physics and the tools that it requires (mathematics, computer science, electronics, etc.) You may have the opportunity to get involved with research project at some point. Most students that are serious about going on will end up with some kind of research project - working with a professor as a summer job, or as a senior thesis project, somewhere towards the end of their degree. The students rarely make novel contributions to the field, but they support the people who are and learn about how the process works.

At the graduate level, you complete advanced coursework, rounding out your education and then focus on a research project. You will have a supervisor who will mentor you through the process. Towards the end, you should be in a place where you are capable of conducting research on your own.

Related to At which degree a person start making discoveries in physics

1. At what degree level can a person start making discoveries in physics?

There is not a specific degree level at which one can start making discoveries in physics. However, most scientists who make significant contributions to the field have at least a master's degree in physics or a related field.

2. Do I need a PhD to make discoveries in physics?

While a PhD is not required to make discoveries in physics, it is highly recommended. A PhD program allows individuals to specialize in a specific area of physics and conduct original research, which can lead to significant discoveries.

3. Can a person make discoveries in physics with just a bachelor's degree?

It is possible for a person to make discoveries in physics with just a bachelor's degree, but it is less common. A bachelor's degree provides a strong foundation in physics, but a higher degree allows for more specialized research and a deeper understanding of the subject.

4. Is the degree level the only factor in making discoveries in physics?

No, the degree level is not the only factor in making discoveries in physics. Other factors such as research experience, creativity, and dedication also play a significant role. Many scientists who have made groundbreaking discoveries in physics have a combination of education and experience.

5. Can a person without a formal degree in physics still make discoveries in the field?

Yes, it is possible for a person without a formal degree in physics to make discoveries in the field. However, they would need to have a strong understanding of physics through self-study or other means, and they would also need to conduct original research and have their findings peer-reviewed and accepted by the scientific community.