Atmospheric Substitution Reaction

In summary: CO2 and CH4 in the atmosphere. They came across an equation that shows how these gases can be converted to water and carbon, but they are unsure about how much energy would be needed to make this happen. They also question the feasibility of this as a solution, as it would require a large amount of energy from an external source.
aaa16797
There is an ever constant increase of CO2 and CH4 in the atmospheric, thanks to global warming and greenhouse gases. I came across this equation while looking over changing gas compositions in the atmosphere.

CO2 + CH4 ----> 2H2O + C2

Can someone explain me how I can figure out the amount of energy that needs to be put into the left side of the equation? And could this be a possible solution to solve the ever-so-growing problem with methane and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere?

This thread is for anyone to just voice their opinions on this topic, not necessarily answer my question, but it would be preferred if they were answered.

:)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
aaa16797 said:
And could this be a possible solution to solve the ever-so-growing problem with methane and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere?

Unlikely. Where are you going to take the energy required for the reaction from?

Borek said:
Unlikely. Where are you going to take the energy required for the reaction from?
The energy required for this reaction would probably be sunlight, but that is one of my questions. What can produce enough energy, and how much energy would be needed for this reaction?

The concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere is about 350 ppm, and the concentration of CH4 in the atmosphere is about 1.5 ppm. So there certainly not be enough CH4 to titrate a significant amount of CO2.

Chet

1. What is an atmospheric substitution reaction?

An atmospheric substitution reaction is a chemical reaction that occurs between two or more substances in the presence of air or oxygen. This type of reaction often involves the replacement of one atom or group of atoms with another, resulting in a new compound.

2. What are the key factors that affect atmospheric substitution reactions?

The key factors that affect atmospheric substitution reactions include the temperature, pressure, and concentration of the reactants, as well as the presence of a catalyst. These factors can impact the rate and direction of the reaction.

3. How does an atmospheric substitution reaction differ from other types of reactions?

An atmospheric substitution reaction differs from other types of reactions in that it specifically involves the use of gases, such as oxygen, as a reactant. This allows for a wider range of possible reactions, as gases are often more reactive than solids or liquids.

4. What are some real-world applications of atmospheric substitution reactions?

Atmospheric substitution reactions have many important applications in industry and research. They can be used to produce various chemicals, such as fuels, plastics, and pharmaceuticals. They are also utilized in environmental processes, such as air purification and waste treatment.

5. What are the potential risks associated with atmospheric substitution reactions?

Although atmospheric substitution reactions have many benefits, they also come with potential risks. These reactions can produce harmful byproducts and can be dangerous if not properly controlled. It is important to carefully consider the reaction conditions and safety measures when conducting these types of reactions.