Atomic Conservation in Ionized Hydrogen Gas

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of atomic conservation in a system containing ionized hydrogen gas at equilibrium. The speaker is seeking guidance on properly applying this concept in order to minimize the Gibbs free energy. They specifically mention confusion about treating the electron and other ions in the conservation equations.
Mr. Cosmos
Dear all,
So I have a question concerning atomic conservation in an ionized hydrogen gas. So imagine we have ## H_2 ## initially. Later the gas is taken to an appreciable temperature such that at equilibrium the following species are present, ## e^-, \ H, \ H^+, \ H_2, \ H^-, \ \text{and} \ H_2^+##. In order to properly minimize the Gibbs free energy for such a system I need to appropriately apply atomic conservation in the form,
##b_k = \sum_{i = 1}^n a_{i,k} \ y_i ##
where ## a_{i,k} ## is the number of atoms of component ## k ## in species ## i ##, ## b_k ## is the number moles of component ## k ## per mass of mixture, ## n ## is the total number of species, and ## y_i ## is the number of moles of species ## i ## per mass of the mixture. This is fairly simple when dealing with chemical systems that are not ionizing. However, I am confused about how to treat the atomic conservation in the case of ionized hydrogen. I am not entirely sure how to treat the electron and other ions, so that the conservation is consistent. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
In this case, I would take the "chemical species" to be protons and electrons, and write the conservation equations for p and e.

1. What is Atomic Conservation in Ionized Hydrogen Gas?

Atomic conservation in ionized hydrogen gas refers to the principle that the total number of atoms of hydrogen does not change during ionization. This means that the number of protons and electrons remains the same, even though the atoms have lost or gained electrons.

2. Why is Atomic Conservation in Ionized Hydrogen Gas important?

Atomic conservation in ionized hydrogen gas is important because it helps us understand the behavior of hydrogen gas in various environments, such as in stars and interstellar space. It also plays a crucial role in the study of atomic and molecular physics.

3. How is Atomic Conservation in Ionized Hydrogen Gas related to energy levels?

The energy levels of the electrons in hydrogen atoms are directly related to atomic conservation in ionized hydrogen gas. When an electron is ionized, it moves to a higher energy level, and when it recombines with the atom, it releases energy and moves back to a lower energy level.

4. Can Atomic Conservation in Ionized Hydrogen Gas be violated?

In general, atomic conservation in ionized hydrogen gas is a fundamental principle that is not violated. However, in some extreme conditions, such as in the presence of strong magnetic fields, it may be possible for the energy levels of electrons to change, resulting in violations of atomic conservation.

5. How is Atomic Conservation in Ionized Hydrogen Gas studied?

Atomic conservation in ionized hydrogen gas is studied using various experimental techniques, such as spectroscopy, which allows scientists to measure the energy levels of the electrons in hydrogen atoms. Theoretical models and computer simulations are also used to better understand the behavior of hydrogen gas in different environments.