Atomic Paramagnetism: Understanding m_j Sublevels

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of paramagnetism in the context of stat mech and the consideration of energy levels when perturbing the fine structure of hydrogen with a B-field. The partition function only takes into account the m_j sublevels and not the entire energy spectrum, which may be due to the large splitting of energy levels at low temperatures. The conversation also mentions the energy distribution probability and how adding a constant in front of it does not affect the partition function.
mooglue
Hey everyone,

I've noticed that when paramagnetism is derived in the context of stat mech, we only consider the energy levels of the perturbation. Essentially, we take the fine structure of hydrogen, and we perturb it with a B-field, causing the weak zeeman effect to split the energy levels into m_j sublevels.

When we derive the partition function, we only take into account these levels. So, we weight the energies with bolzmann factors based on m_j.

My question is why don't we have to consider the n,j level distribtions. The energy levels in hydrogen as split by large gaps for various orbital quantum number n; yet, our partition function only accounts for the splitting of the j'th level into m_j sublevels. I've seen these derived many times, so I'm really not understanding why we don't consider the entire energy spectrum, and can only focus on the m_j sublevels.

Anyway help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, I think I may have a convincing argument for myself; however, if anyone still has anything to add, I'd of course still appreciate it.

I would guess the reason is that you're only interested in the low temperature magnetism, in which case you have the large splitting [tex]\Delta >> kT[/tex] so the effects of those excitations won't be apparent at the temperature scale you're interested in.

compared with the energy caused by n and j, the energy split caused by m_j is very small. In the partition function, the former one can be treated as a constant: exp(-E(n,j)/kT). However, the key of partition function is the energy distribution probability. If added a constant in front of this probability means nothing, due to normalize.

Related to Atomic Paramagnetism: Understanding m_j Sublevels

What is atomic paramagnetism?

Atomic paramagnetism is a phenomenon that occurs in atoms when their electrons are not fully paired in their outermost electron shells. This creates unpaired electrons, which have a magnetic dipole moment and can interact with an external magnetic field.

What is the significance of understanding mj sublevels in atomic paramagnetism?

mj sublevels refer to the different orientations of an electron's magnetic dipole moment in an external magnetic field. Understanding these sublevels is crucial in determining the overall magnetic behavior of an atom and how it interacts with other atoms or molecules.

How does atomic paramagnetism differ from other types of magnetism?

Atomic paramagnetism is different from other types of magnetism, such as ferromagnetism or diamagnetism, because it is a property of individual atoms rather than a bulk material. It also only occurs in atoms with unpaired electrons, while other types of magnetism can occur in both paired and unpaired electron systems.

What factors affect the strength of atomic paramagnetism?

The strength of atomic paramagnetism is affected by the number of unpaired electrons in an atom, as well as the strength of the external magnetic field. The number of unpaired electrons is determined by the electron configuration of the atom.

How is atomic paramagnetism used in scientific research and applications?

Atomic paramagnetism is used in various scientific fields, such as chemistry, physics, and materials science, to study the electronic and magnetic properties of atoms and molecules. It is also important in the development of new technologies, such as magnetic storage devices and medical imaging techniques.