Automobile velocity on the bridge

In summary, the problem is asking for the velocity of a 1000kg automobile traveling at 54km/h when it reaches the top of a bridge with a curvature radius of 50m. However, it is not possible to determine the velocity without additional information, as the car's gear stick and the height of the bridge are unknown. The solution provided only calculates the maximum speed before the car's wheels would lose contact with the road at the top of the bridge.
Juraj S

Homework Statement

Automobile with m = 1000kg, traveling at v = 54km/h got to the bridge with curvature radius r = 50m. What is its velocity at the top of the bridge?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

bb1ed04857417ac4fefa7824e7177778.png

If this solution is correct, could you please explain to me how can this velocity be higher than the initial speed of the automobile?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Juraj S. :welcome:

What you have calculated is the maximum speed (at the bridge apex) before the car's wheels would lose contact with the road.

How high is the bridge?

Hint: is the car's gear stick in "neutral" for all the time the car is on the bridge?

The question makes no sense, there is clearly not enough information. Even if we assume the car is in neutral, we've no way to determine the height of the bridge. Is this the whole problem, exactly as given to you?

That is exactly what I thought, that is why the solution I provided is the most I could come up with, so I guess the problem is incorrectly given because the info I provided is all I have available.

1. What factors affect the velocity of an automobile on a bridge?

The velocity of an automobile on a bridge is affected by several factors such as the weight of the vehicle, the angle of the incline of the bridge, the condition of the road surface, and the speed limit of the bridge. Additionally, external factors such as wind and weather conditions can also impact the velocity of a vehicle on a bridge.

2. Is the velocity of an automobile on a bridge different from its velocity on a flat road?

Yes, the velocity of an automobile on a bridge is different from its velocity on a flat road. This is because the incline of the bridge creates a change in the gravitational force acting on the vehicle, which affects its velocity. The friction between the tires and the road surface also plays a role in determining the velocity of a vehicle on a bridge.

3. How does the design of a bridge impact the velocity of automobiles?

The design of a bridge can impact the velocity of automobiles in various ways. For example, the length and slope of the bridge can affect the speed limit imposed on the bridge, which in turn can impact the velocity of vehicles. The width and curvature of the bridge can also affect the maneuverability and speed of vehicles.

4. Can the velocity of an automobile on a bridge be accurately measured?

Yes, the velocity of an automobile on a bridge can be accurately measured using speed detection devices such as radar guns or speed cameras. These devices use the principle of Doppler shift to calculate the velocity of a moving vehicle. However, external factors such as traffic and weather conditions can affect the accuracy of these measurements.

5. How does the velocity of an automobile on a bridge affect its stability?

The velocity of an automobile on a bridge can affect its stability in various ways. Higher velocities can lead to increased centrifugal forces, which can cause a vehicle to lose control and potentially veer off the bridge. The angle of incline and the condition of the road surface also play a role in the stability of a vehicle on a bridge.