Average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration

In summary, the acceleration of a particle moving only on a horizontal xy plane is given by a= (3t)i + (4t)j, where 'a' is in m/s*2 and t is in seconds. At t=0, the position vector r= (20m)i + (40m)j locates the particle, which then has the velocity vector v=(5m/s)i + (2m/s)j. At t=4.00s what are (1)the position vector in unit vector notation and (2) the angle between its direction of travel and the positive direction of the x-axis?
SAGHTD

Homework Statement

The acceleration of a particle moving only on a horizontal xy plane is given by a= (3t)i + (4t)j, where 'a' is in m/s*2 and t is in seconds. At t=0, the position vector r= (20m)i + (40m)j locates the particle, which then has the velocity vector v=(5m/s)i + (2m/s)j. At t=4.00s what are (1)the position vector in unit vector notation and (2) the angle between its direction of travel and the positive direction of the x-axis?

Can someone please help me I'm having a bit of problems with vector question such as this i tried a few things but it was to no use. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi SAGHTD ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

The standard https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=204" equations still apply …

you can either use them with s v and a as vectors,

or you can use them as scalars (as usual), for the x and y directions separately.

Show us what you've done, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
well to the get the position vector you should integrate twice
v(t)=integral a(t) dt + v(0) which is given
then integrate v to get r and r(0) is also given

tiny-tim said:
Hi SAGHTD ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

The standard https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=204" equations still apply …

you can either use them with s v and a as vectors,

or you can use them as scalars (as usual), for the x and y directions separately.

Show us what you've done, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

uhm I know that I am only a noob here but since a is a function of t why would the constant acceleration apply?

Last edited by a moderator:
oops!

oops! i misread it! :redface:

I'm still a bit lost on where to really start vector aren't really something i understand too well... :frown:

But still if they're asking for position vector can't i just integrate "a" twice to get it position vector?? I'm not sure if I'm really making sense but my idea seems to be a bit silly too me...

Hi SAGHTD! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

a is (d2x/dt2)i + (d2y/dt2)j

If you integrate once, you get (dx/dt)i + (dy/dt)j, which is v.

And if you integrate once more, you get xi + yj, which is s.

So yes, you can just integrate "a" twice to get the position vector "s".

You can either do it as a scalar, one coordinate at a time (if that feels safer :wink:), or you can do it all together, as a vector. :smile:

(ie as: a = d2s/dt2, where s = xi + yj)

Have a go! :smile:

Related to Average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration

What is average acceleration?

Average acceleration is a measure of how much the velocity of an object changes over a certain period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

How is average acceleration different from instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is calculated over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration takes into account the overall change in velocity, while instantaneous acceleration only considers the velocity at a single point.

How is average acceleration calculated?

To calculate average acceleration, you need to know the initial velocity and final velocity of an object, as well as the time it took for the velocity to change. The formula for average acceleration is change in velocity divided by change in time.

What is instantaneous acceleration?

Instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration of an object at a specific moment in time. It is a measure of how quickly the velocity of an object is changing at that moment.

How is instantaneous acceleration calculated?

Instantaneous acceleration is calculated by taking the derivative of the velocity function with respect to time. In other words, it is the rate of change of velocity at a specific point in time.