Average current around a magnetic loop that changes its shape

In summary, To find the average induced current in a semicircular loop rotating in a uniform magnetic field, one must calculate the total charge that flows through the loop over a quarter revolution and divide it by the time it takes for the loop to complete this quarter revolution. This can be done by finding an expression for the instantaneous current as a function of time, integrating over time to find the total charge, and then dividing by the time it takes for the loop to rotate by a quarter revolution.
Alefan_
Homework Statement
The picture shows a loop formed by two semicircles linked together by the straight sections of a wire. The loop and the dotted line lie on the same plane.
The smaller semicircle, which has a radius of 0.20m, starts rotating with an angular speed of ω=1.5 rad/s around the dotted line until it gets into a position that's perpendicular to the bigger semicircle (B).
A constant magnetic field of B= 0.35 T is directed upwards, perpendicular to the plane where the loop lies.
The loops resistance is R=0.025 Ω
Find out the induced loop current I while it changes its form, hoing from picture A to B.
Relevant Equations
V=R×I
fem=ω×A×B
Semicircle Area=½×π×r^2
20200113_174058.jpg

To find out what the induced loop current was i used the formula:
V=R×I

To find out what the value of V was i used the formula that links electromotive force (fem) to angular speed:
Fem=ω×B×A

The only thing that's missing is the loops area but considering that it's a semicircle and that the radius value was given I used this formula:
A=½×π×r^2

Substituting all of the values the answer comes out as incorrect, I'll leave a photo of my procedure here:

20200113_174112.jpg

The result comes out as 1.31 A while it should be 0.84 A, what's wrong with my procedure?

Thank you to anyone who will help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
The formula ##\varepsilon = \omega AB## is not going to give you the correct result. This formula is for finding the maximum emf induced in a loop of area ##A## rotating in a uniform magnetic field. You need to find the average emf induced when the smaller semicircle rotates through a quarter turn.

I recommend that you go back to basics. According to Faraday's law, the average induced emf is given by

##\overline {\varepsilon} = \frac{\Delta \Phi}{\Delta t}##. Find an expression for ##\Delta \Phi## in terms of ##B## and ##r##. Find an expression for ##\Delta t## in terms of ##\omega##.

Likes Delta2
A different approach would be to find the total charge ##\Delta Q## that flows through the semicircle and then divide that by the time ##T## is takes the loop to rotate by a quarter revolution. Note that $$\Delta Q=\int_0^T I~dt=\frac{1}{R}\int_0^T\frac{d \Phi}{dt}dt=~?$$

Likes Delta2
I have nothing to add to TSny's post except that my answer was about 5% higher than the given one.
EDIT: On recomputing I also got exactly 0.84A. My bad.

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark
rude man said:
I have nothing to add to TSny's post except that my answer was about 5% higher than the given one.
I got exactly the given answer, no rounding.

kuruman said:
I got exactly the given answer, no rounding.
I concur. I also got the given answer, 0.84 A, exactly (no rounding necessary).

@kuruman's method is the correct approach here. The tricky bit is that the problem statement is asking for the "average" current (not the "peak" current). That, and the current is not a constant value -- it's time varying. To complicate things further, the current does not vary linearly with time, it varies sinusoidally with time [wink, wink (i.e., that's a hint)].

So, to solve for the "average" current, the steps are
  • Find an expression for the instantaneous current as a function of time.
  • Integrate over time from [itex] t = t_0 = 0 [/itex] to [itex] t = t_1 [/itex] to find the total charge [itex] Q [/itex], such that [itex] \theta_1 = \omega t_1 = \frac{\pi}{2} [/itex].
  • Calculate [itex] i_{ave} [/itex] by dividing the charge by [itex] t_1 [/itex] (i.e., [itex] i_{ave} = \frac{Q}{t_1} [/itex]).

1. What is meant by "average current" in relation to a magnetic loop?

The average current around a magnetic loop refers to the average flow of electrical current through the loop over a period of time. This can be calculated by dividing the total charge passing through the loop by the time period.

2. How does the shape of a magnetic loop affect the average current?

The shape of a magnetic loop can greatly impact the average current. A larger loop with a larger surface area will generally have a higher average current, while a smaller loop with a smaller surface area will have a lower average current. Additionally, changes in the shape of the loop can cause fluctuations in the average current.

3. What factors can cause changes in the shape of a magnetic loop?

Changes in the shape of a magnetic loop can be caused by various factors, including external magnetic fields, temperature changes, and mechanical stress. These changes can alter the conductivity and resistance of the loop, which in turn affects the flow of current.

4. How is the average current around a magnetic loop measured?

The average current around a magnetic loop can be measured using an ammeter, which is a device that measures the flow of electrical current. The ammeter is connected in series with the loop, allowing it to measure the amount of current passing through the loop.

5. Why is it important to understand the average current around a magnetic loop?

Understanding the average current around a magnetic loop is important in various applications, including electrical power distribution, electromagnetic induction, and magnetic resonance imaging. It can also provide insights into the behavior and properties of magnetic fields and their interactions with electric currents.