Average force exerted on a baseball

In summary, a 0.145kg baseball moving at 35.0m/s horizontally strikes a bat and is popped up to a height of 55.6m before turning around. The contact time is 0.50ms, and the average force on the ball during contact can be calculated using the equation p=mv and the given time unit of milliseconds. The SI prefixes can be used with any unit in the SI system, except for the unit of kilograms.
vaibzzz123
1. Question
A 0.145kg baseball moving horizontally at 35.0m/s strikes a bat and is popped straight up to a height of 55.6m before turning around. If the contact time is 0.50ms, calculate the average force on the ball during the contact.

Homework Equations

p=mv
Δp=mΔv=fΔt
Ek=0.5mv^2 (?)
Ep=mgh (?)

The Attempt at a Solution

pinitial=(35)(.145)=5.075 kg*m/s

I was going to use the time that was given, but I'm unsure if the "ms" unit was a typo or was written on purpose. If it was on purpose, I'm unsure how I should use it

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think it is a typo? What do you think "ms" means? Are you familiar with the SI prefixes?

Orodruin said:
Why do you think it is a typo? What do you think "ms" means? Are you familiar with the SI prefixes?
Ah, didn't realize that it meant milliseconds! First time I've ever seen that in Physics. Would that mean 0.50ms=0.5*10^-3s or 5*10^-4s?

vaibzzz123 said:
Would that mean 0.50ms=0.5*10^-3s?
Yes.

vaibzzz123 said:
Ah, didn't realize that it meant milliseconds! First time I've ever seen that in Physics.
The SI prefixes may be used together with any unit in the SI system. It is a good lesson to take in.

Edit: The caveat being the use together with the SI unit kg ...

1. What is the average force exerted on a baseball when it is hit by a bat?

The average force exerted on a baseball when it is hit by a bat depends on several factors such as the speed and mass of the bat, the speed and mass of the ball, and the angle of impact. On average, the force can range from 2,000 to 4,000 pounds.

2. How does the average force exerted on a baseball affect its trajectory?

The average force exerted on a baseball can significantly impact its trajectory. A higher force will result in a faster initial velocity, causing the ball to travel further. The angle of the force also plays a role, as a higher force with a steeper angle can result in a higher and shorter trajectory.

3. Is the average force exerted on a baseball the same for every pitch?

No, the average force exerted on a baseball can vary for different pitches. A fastball, which is thrown with greater force, will result in a higher average force compared to a changeup, which is thrown with less force. The type of pitch and the pitcher's technique can also affect the average force.

4. How does the average force exerted on a baseball differ between a pitch and a hit?

The average force exerted on a baseball when it is hit by a bat is generally higher than when it is pitched. This is because the force of the bat adds to the force of the pitch. Additionally, the angle of impact and the speed of the bat can also contribute to a higher average force when hitting compared to pitching.

5. Can the average force exerted on a baseball be calculated?

Yes, the average force exerted on a baseball can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the ball, and a is the acceleration. However, due to the various factors involved, it is difficult to accurately calculate the exact average force on a baseball during a game situation.