Average Velocity: Find the Answer

Thanks!In summary, the problem asks for the average velocity of an object with a position function of x = 7t - 3t^2 over a time interval of 0 to 2 seconds. The correct answer is 1 m/s, which is obtained by dividing the change in position (2 meters) by the change in time (2 seconds). None of the given choices (1) -5 m/s, (2) 5 m/s, (3) 11 m/s, (4) -11 m/s, or (5) -14.5 m/s are correct.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The coordinate of an object is given as a function of time by x = 7t - 3t^2, where x is in meters and t is in seconds. Its average velocity over the interval from t = 0 to t = 2 s is?

(1) -5 m/s (2) 5 m/s (3) 11 m/s (4) -11 m/s (5) -14.5 m/s

Homework Equations

Average velocity = change in position / change in time.

The Attempt at a Solution

Change in time = 2 seconds.

Change in position:

x(0) = 0.

x(2) = 14 - 12 = 2.

Change in position is 2.

Therefore avg. velocity is 2/2 or 1m/s.

Am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks correct to me. 1 m/s is the right answer.

[Edit: If the position function were x = 7t-3t3, then you would get one of the answers.]

Last edited:
That's odd, since I copied and pasted this problem from an old physics exam of my prof's. I guess I'll have to see him about there being no correct answer among the choices.

Related to Average Velocity: Find the Answer

What is average velocity?

Average velocity is the measure of an object's displacement over a period of time. It takes into account both the direction and magnitude of an object's motion, giving a more complete description of its movement.

How is average velocity calculated?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement of an object by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula is v = Δx/Δt, where v is the average velocity, Δx is the displacement, and Δt is the time.

What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the overall measure of an object's motion over a period of time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at any given moment in time. Instantaneous velocity takes into account any changes in an object's speed or direction, while average velocity only considers the overall change.

Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative if an object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial position. This indicates a change in direction during the period of time being measured.

How is average velocity used in real life?

Average velocity is used in many real-life scenarios, such as calculating the speed of a car during a road trip or the average speed of a runner during a race. It is also used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects and to make predictions about their future movements.