Average Velocity of a Car Whilst Braking

In summary, the average velocity during braking when the initial speed is 23m/s and the deceleration is constant does not depend on the magnitude of the deceleration. It is simply half of the initial speed, which in this case is 11.5m/s. This can be calculated by taking the average of the initial and final velocities, regardless of the rate of deceleration.
BraedenP
I don't require an answer to the problem itself, but rather a method I can use to solve it:

Homework Statement

You spot a deer down the road, so you brake to stop before hitting the deer. If your initial speed was 23m/s, what was your average velocity during braking? Deceleration was constant throughout braking.

Homework Equations

v=d/t
a=v/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't even begin to solve it, because I'm pretty sure I require an additional piece of data, such as the stopping distance, or the magnitude of the deceleration. Is there a way to solve it without this data?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need any additional data. Try drawing a graph of the velocity vs time, given that the deceleration is constant. What does it look like? What then is the average velocity? Does it depend on the magnitude of the deceleration?

phyzguy said:
You don't need any additional data. Try drawing a graph of the velocity vs time, given that the deceleration is constant. What does it look like? What then is the average velocity? Does it depend on the magnitude of the deceleration?

I would do that, but I don't know how long it takes the car to decelerate to 0m/s, because I wasn't given a time, either. If I knew the time, I could solve the problem easily.

I can't graph velocity vs. time without a time to plot against.

Then try picking a couple of different decelerations, say 23 m/s^2 (in which case it will take 1 second to come to a stop) and 230 m/s2 (in which case it will take 0.1 s to come to a stop). See what you get for the average velocity in these two cases.

I get 7.5m/s for both of them. However, if I pick some arbitrary number like 540m/s, I get an average velocity of 9.5m/s. For some reason, I'm still not getting how they're related.

You must not be calculating the average correctly. The point is that if a function changes linearly from an initial value of Fi to a final value of Ff, then the average is just (Fi-Ff)/2. In this case, the velocity changes linearly from 23 m/s to 0 m/s, so the average velocity is just 23/2 = 11.5 m/s, and it doesn't matter what the rate of deceleration is, as long as it is constant.

phyzguy said:
You must not be calculating the average correctly. The point is that if a function changes linearly from an initial value of Fi to a final value of Ff, then the average is just (Fi-Ff)/2. In this case, the velocity changes linearly from 23 m/s to 0 m/s, so the average velocity is just 23/2 = 11.5 m/s, and it doesn't matter what the rate of deceleration is, as long as it is constant.

Oh, okay. That makes sense! So basically, it's just like finding the average of any other two magnitudes; the acceleration has no impact on it since it's constant.

Thanks a bunch! I appreciate it.

Related to Average Velocity of a Car Whilst Braking

What is the average velocity of a car while braking?

The average velocity of a car while braking can vary depending on factors such as the initial speed, braking force, and friction between the tires and the road. However, on average, a car's velocity can decrease by about 10-15 miles per hour per second while braking.

How is the average velocity of a car while braking calculated?

The average velocity of a car while braking is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it takes for the car to come to a complete stop. This can be represented by the equation: average velocity = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time.

What are the factors that affect the average velocity of a car while braking?

The main factors that affect the average velocity of a car while braking are the initial speed, braking force, and friction between the tires and the road. Other factors such as weight distribution and road conditions can also play a role.

How does the average velocity of a car while braking affect stopping distance?

The average velocity of a car while braking has a direct impact on the stopping distance. The faster the initial speed and the higher the average velocity while braking, the longer the stopping distance will be. This is because it takes more time and distance for the car to come to a complete stop at higher velocities.

Can the average velocity of a car while braking be increased?

The average velocity of a car while braking can be increased by increasing the initial speed, applying a greater braking force, or improving the friction between the tires and the road. However, it is important to always practice safe and responsible driving habits and to follow speed limits to ensure the safety of yourself and others on the road.