Axial Deformation on Statically indeterminate beam

In summary, the problem involves finding a solution for a concrete and steel structure with specific dimensions and forces applied. The equations to be used are PL/AE, and the compatibility equation is Fab + Fcd = 80 kN. The solution may involve making cuts at points B or C to properly analyze the structure.
SteliosVas

Homework Statement

I am trying to find a solution to the below attached image.
The area for AB=CD = 0.8m^2
Area of BC = 0.3m^2

Force at B = 140 kN (left)
Force at C = 60 kN (right)

AB=CD = Concrete with a E of 25,000N/mm^2
CD = Steel with an E = 200,000N/mm^2

Homework Equations

PL/AE

The Attempt at a Solution

This is where I get confused because there is a force acting at B and a force acting at C I am not sure if I need to make a cut at say B or make a cut at C.

I understand the the sum of the forces in X direction have to equal Ax + Dx = 80 kN (As a result of 140 - 60 kN)

Now taking BC as the redundant section

PL/AE for section AB should that of section CD?

I am not sure if I am going about it the right way?

If it was one continuous section with forces only in one direction or even two I understand but because of that section BC it has thrown me out .

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no image attached to your post.

Oops... Here we go

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-02 at 2.24.25 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-02 at 2.24.25 pm.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 511
Second Attempt at solution

Taking Section AB

δA/D = Fab*L(ab)/AE = Fcd*L(cd)/AE

Now F in AB = 140 kN
and F in CD = -60 kN

*** Edit ***

My compatibility equation of Fab + Fcd = 80 kN?

Last edited:

I would advise approaching this problem by considering the static equilibrium of the beam. This means that the sum of all forces acting on the beam must equal zero, and the sum of all moments (torques) acting on the beam must also equal zero.

First, let's consider the forces acting on the beam. We have a force of 140 kN acting to the left at point B, and a force of 60 kN acting to the right at point C. These forces create a resultant force of 80 kN to the left, as you mentioned. Since the beam is statically indeterminate, we cannot determine the internal forces (such as Ax and Dx) simply by looking at the external forces. Therefore, we need to consider the beam's deformation to find a solution.

To do this, we can make a cut at point B or C and consider the forces and moments acting on each section. Since we have more information about the section AB, let's make a cut at point B. This means that we are considering the forces and moments acting on section AB and the forces acting on section BC.

For section AB, we can use the equation PL/AE to determine the deformation caused by the 140 kN force. However, we also need to consider the effect of the force at point C on the deformation of section AB. This can be done by considering the equilibrium of forces and moments at point B. This will give us an equation that relates the forces at B and C to the deformation of section AB.

For section BC, we can use the same equation PL/AE to determine the deformation caused by the 60 kN force. Keep in mind that this section is made of steel with a different Young's modulus, so you will need to use the appropriate value in the equation.

Once you have equations for the deformations of both sections, you can use them to solve for the unknown internal forces (Ax and Dx) by setting the total deformation of the beam equal to zero. This means that the deformations of section AB and BC must cancel each other out, resulting in a net deformation of zero for the entire beam.

In summary, the key to solving this problem is to consider the equilibrium of forces and moments at various points along the beam, and to use the equation PL/AE to relate these forces to the deformations of each section. I hope this helps guide you in the right direction.

Related to Axial Deformation on Statically indeterminate beam

1. What is axial deformation on a statically indeterminate beam?

Axial deformation on a statically indeterminate beam refers to the change in length or shape of the beam when it is subjected to axial, or compressive, forces. This type of deformation occurs when the beam is unable to resist the applied forces due to its complex structural configuration.

2. How does axial deformation affect the stability of a beam?

Axial deformation can significantly affect the stability of a beam. When a beam experiences axial deformation, it may become more susceptible to buckling, which is the sudden failure of a structural member due to excessive compressive stresses. In some cases, axial deformation can also lead to structural instability and collapse.

3. What factors contribute to axial deformation in a statically indeterminate beam?

There are several factors that can contribute to axial deformation in a statically indeterminate beam. These include the applied load, the material properties of the beam, the geometry of the beam, and the boundary conditions. Additionally, external factors such as temperature changes and dynamic loads can also affect the amount of axial deformation in a beam.

4. How is axial deformation calculated in a statically indeterminate beam?

Calculating axial deformation in a statically indeterminate beam requires the use of structural analysis methods such as the slope-deflection method or the moment-distribution method. These methods involve breaking down the complex beam structure into smaller, statically determinate elements and using equations to determine the axial deformation at each element. The results are then combined to determine the overall axial deformation of the beam.

5. What are some common examples of statically indeterminate beams?

Statically indeterminate beams can be found in various structures, including bridges, buildings, and mechanical systems. Some common examples include cantilever beams, continuous beams, and truss structures. In these cases, the beams have multiple supports or connections, making it difficult to determine the internal forces and deformations using basic statics equations.