Mechanics of Materials: Statically Indeterminate Problems

In summary, It is important to carefully choose the appropriate method when solving problems, whether it is the method of superposition, the force method, or just using equilibrium equations and compatibility relations. Each method has its advantages and it is important to be able to recognize when to use each one.
jdawg

Homework Statement

Hi! So my question isn't really about a specific problem, but more of when to use which method.
I'm having trouble knowing when to use the method of super position, the force method, or just being able to go straight into just writing the equilibrium equation and the compatibility relation.

Homework Equations

δ = (F*L)/(A*E)

The Attempt at a Solution

For example, in the problem I attached I originally just summed the forces in the x direction and then wrote out my compatibility relation:

FEF - 2FAB = 80 kN (Because of symmetry let FAB = FCD

δAB = δEF

And then I just solved for my forces using these two equations. But this was incorrect, I don't understand why this doesn't work (The solution I looked at used the method of super position). The total deformation between the two rigid walls should be zero, right? Shouldn't the compression in rods AB and CD equal the expansion in rod EF?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 370_P4.43.png
    370_P4.43.png
    14 KB · Views: 736
Physics news on Phys.org
jdawg said:

Homework Statement

Hi! So my question isn't really about a specific problem, but more of when to use which method.
I'm having trouble knowing when to use the method of super position, the force method, or just being able to go straight into just writing the equilibrium equation and the compatibility relation.

Homework Equations

δ = (F*L)/(A*E)

The Attempt at a Solution

For example, in the problem I attached I originally just summed the forces in the x direction and then wrote out my compatibility relation:

FEF - 2FAB = 80 kN (Because of symmetry let FAB = FCD
ok
δAB = δEF
ok
And then I just solved for my forces using these two equations. But this was incorrect, I don't understand why this doesn't work (The solution I looked at used the method of super position). The total deformation between the two rigid walls should be zero, right? Shouldn't the compression in rods AB and CD equal the expansion in rod EF?
yes
Thanks for any help!
you have a signage error on your first equation. The left sections are in compression and the right section is in tension. Draw free body diagrams and correct your signage.

Likes CivilSigma and jdawg
Thanks so much! I can't believe I made that mistake. So just to clarify, you can pretty much use whichever method as long as you are careful?

jdawg said:
Thanks so much! I can't believe I made that mistake. So just to clarify, you can pretty much use whichever method as long as you are careful?
Yes, use the method that is easier for you , they all lead to the same result.

Likes jdawg

1. What are some examples of statically indeterminate problems in mechanics of materials?

Some examples of statically indeterminate problems include beams with multiple supports, trusses with redundant members, and frames with more than three supports.

2. How are statically indeterminate problems different from statically determinate problems?

In statically determinate problems, the number of unknown reactions can be determined using the equations of equilibrium. However, in statically indeterminate problems, the number of unknown reactions is greater than the number of equations of equilibrium, making it necessary to use additional methods such as compatibility equations.

3. What is the purpose of using the method of consistent deformations in solving statically indeterminate problems?

The method of consistent deformations allows us to solve for the unknown reactions by assuming a small amount of deformation in the structure and then applying the equations of equilibrium. This method takes into account the stiffness of the structure and is particularly useful in determining reactions in redundant members.

4. How do we determine the degree of indeterminacy in a structure?

The degree of indeterminacy is determined by counting the number of unknown reactions and comparing it to the number of equations of equilibrium. If the number of unknown reactions is greater, the structure is statically indeterminate.

5. Can statically indeterminate problems be solved using the equations of equilibrium alone?

No, statically indeterminate problems require additional methods such as the method of consistent deformations or the method of superposition to solve for the unknown reactions. The equations of equilibrium alone are not sufficient to solve these types of problems.