Axiom of Pair and Axiom of Union?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between the axiom of pair and the axiom of union in Set Theory. The axiom of pair states that the set {A,B} exists, while the axiom of union states that the set A∪B exists. The conversation clarifies that these two statements are very different and provides an example to illustrate the difference between them.
A.MHF
So I've been learning Set Theory by myself through Jech and Hrabeck textbook, and I'm having trouble understanding some axioms.

1. Homework Statement

What exactly is the difference between the axiom of pair and axiom of union?
From what I understood, the axiom of pair tells us that there is a set C whose elements are the elements of A and the elements of B. As for the axiom of union, what I understood is that it tells us that each member in a set is a set itself. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). However, I've seen proofs using axiom of union to prove that there is a set that exists which has the exact elements of both set A and set B. But if that's what the axiom is for, then what's the use of axiom of pair? Please help me understand the role of each of those axioms.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

-

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the difference between ##\{A,B\}## and ##A\cup B##?

micromass said:
Do you know the difference between ##\{A,B\}## and ##A\cup B##?
The first one is a set whose elements are A and B. The second one is a set whose elements are the elements of the sets A and B.
Is that correct?

Right. The axiom of pair just says ##\{A,B\}## exists. The axiom of union says ##A\cup B## exists (well, more or less). So they're very different statements.

Likes A.MHF
micromass said:
Right. The axiom of pair just says ##\{A,B\}## exists. The axiom of union says ##A\cup B## exists (well, more or less). So they're very different statements.
I see. Just to be clear, is this right:
Let's say there is are sets A:{1,2,3} and B:{4,5,6}.
The axiom of pair would tell me that this set exists: {{123},{456}}. The axiom of union would tell me that this one exists: {1,2,3,4,5,6}.

Yes.

What is the Axiom of Pair?

The Axiom of Pair is an axiom in set theory that states that for any two sets, there exists a set that contains exactly those two sets as its elements.

What is the Axiom of Union?

The Axiom of Union is an axiom in set theory that states that for any collection of sets, there exists a set that contains all the elements of the sets in the collection.

How are the Axiom of Pair and Axiom of Union related?

The Axiom of Pair and Axiom of Union are both axioms in set theory that deal with the construction of new sets. The Axiom of Pair is used to create pairs of sets, while the Axiom of Union is used to create unions of sets.

Why are the Axiom of Pair and Axiom of Union important?

The Axiom of Pair and Axiom of Union are important because they provide the basis for constructing more complex sets in set theory. They allow for the creation of new sets with specific properties, which is necessary for many mathematical proofs and constructions.

What are some examples of using the Axiom of Pair and Axiom of Union?

An example of using the Axiom of Pair would be creating the set {1,2} from the sets {1} and {2}. An example of using the Axiom of Union would be creating the set {1,2,3} from the sets {1}, {2}, and {3}.