Background required for ab initio thermodynamic calculations

In summary, "ab initio" means "from the beginning" and refers to a method of calculating thermodynamic properties using fundamental physical laws. A strong background in quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and programming is required for these calculations, which can be highly accurate but have limitations. They are used in scientific research to predict and understand material behavior, design new materials, and study physical phenomena at the atomic level.
Azad Sonaye
Can someone tell me the mathematical and physics background i need to perform ab initio calculations to determine thermodynamic properties of materials. I am a Mechanical engineer with a masters in Metallurgy

Engineering news on Phys.org
Azad Sonaye said:
Can someone tell me the mathematical and physics background i need to perform ab initio calculations to determine thermodynamic properties of materials. I am a Mechanical engineer with a masters in Metallurgy
What sort of thermodynamic properties? What sort of materials?

Statistical Thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, molecular dynamics

Likes CWatters
Thanks for your replies. I'm currently reading http://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/physics/computational-science-and-modelling/modeling-materials-continuum-atomistic-and-multiscale-techniques?format=HB

1. What is the meaning of "ab initio" in the context of thermodynamic calculations?

"Ab initio" is a Latin term meaning "from the beginning" or "from first principles". In the context of thermodynamic calculations, it refers to a method of calculating thermodynamic properties of a material or system using only fundamental physical laws and principles, without relying on any experimental data or empirical models.

2. What is the background knowledge required for performing ab initio thermodynamic calculations?

To perform ab initio thermodynamic calculations, one would need a strong foundation in quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and thermodynamics. Additionally, knowledge of computer programming and experience with computational tools and software would also be necessary.

3. How accurate are ab initio thermodynamic calculations compared to experimental data?

Ab initio thermodynamic calculations can provide highly accurate results, often within a few percent of experimental values. However, the accuracy of the calculations depends on various factors such as the level of theory used, the quality of the computational methods, and the complexity of the system being studied.

4. Are there any limitations to ab initio thermodynamic calculations?

Like any modeling or computational method, ab initio thermodynamic calculations also have limitations. These include the complexity of the systems that can be studied, the computational resources required, and the accuracy of the underlying physical models and approximations used.

5. How are ab initio thermodynamic calculations used in scientific research?

Ab initio thermodynamic calculations are used in various fields of scientific research, such as materials science, chemistry, and physics. They can help predict and understand the behavior of materials and systems under different conditions, design new materials with desired properties, and provide insights into fundamental physical phenomena at the atomic and molecular level.