Backup Battery or what? (Calculator)

In summary, the conversation discusses a SHARP EL-W535X calculator and the discovery of a second battery slot. The manual does not mention a backup battery and it is unclear why the slot exists. The calculator is solar powered and has a long battery life. The model may have a different manual due to an added "x" in the model number. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to ignore the second battery slot.
Regtic
http://i.imgur.com/qsZ0PM4.jpg

I opened up the back of the calculator to see what kind of battery I might have to replace eventually, but I didn't expect to see a second battery slot. Is it a backup battery slot? If so, how do I tell what kind of battery fits in there? I checked the manual, nothing in it about it. It's a SHARP EL-W535X

Physics news on Phys.org
I looked at it's manual here:
http://www.sharpmea.com/cps/rde/xbcr/documents/documents/om/30_cal/elw531-g-h-ha-w535_om_gb.pdf
But did not see it mention a backup battery. Maybe it uses both battery slots? Does the calculator work without having one of them?

Also, I have read that it is solar powered?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yellowflash said:
I looked at it's manual here:
http://www.sharpmea.com/cps/rde/xbcr/documents/documents/om/30_cal/elw531-g-h-ha-w535_om_gb.pdf
But did not see it mention a backup battery. Maybe it uses both battery slots? Does the calculator work without having one of them?

Also, I have read that it is solar powered?

Nah it's totally battery powered and it works. It came with only the small one in it and it begs the question why that slot would be in the design in the first place. Seems inefficient and unnecessary considering the battery lasts like 3000 hours and there is no mention of there being a back up battery slot anywhere

also, it might even be a different manual since it has an x on the end of the model #

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't find anything online either. Maybe just ignore it.

Sharp has several calculators that use the same case. They use different batteries. Some use the smaller one, and others the larger.

Related to Backup Battery or what? (Calculator)

1. What is a backup battery for a calculator?

A backup battery for a calculator is a small, portable power source that is used to keep a calculator functioning when the main batteries run out of power. It is usually designed to be easily inserted into the calculator and can provide power for extended periods of time.

2. How do I know when I need to replace the backup battery?

If your calculator is not turning on or displaying any numbers, it could be a sign that the backup battery needs to be replaced. Some calculators may also have a low battery indicator that will alert you when the backup battery is running low.

3. What type of backup battery does my calculator need?

The type of backup battery needed for a calculator can vary depending on the model. Some calculators may require a specific brand or size of battery, while others may be compatible with more common types like AA or AAA batteries. It is important to check the manufacturer's instructions or the calculator's manual to determine the correct type of backup battery to use.

4. How long does a backup battery last?

The lifespan of a backup battery can vary depending on the type of battery, the frequency of use, and the model of calculator. In general, backup batteries can last for several months or even up to a year before needing to be replaced.

5. Can I replace the backup battery myself?

Yes, in most cases, you can replace the backup battery yourself. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions or the calculator's manual to ensure that the battery is inserted correctly. If you are unsure or uncomfortable doing it yourself, it is recommended to seek help from a professional or the manufacturer.