Backwards extension torque wrench formula + cheat sheet review

In summary, the cheat sheet includes formulas for calculating torque (using ST), crowfoot adapter/extension (rotation affects COS), and desired torque for a fastener (FT).
leaning
Poster has been reminded to post schoolwork in the Homework Help forums
torque wrench4.jpg
Hello! I took a quality certification test yesterday and there was a question on there about torque wrench formulas. I didn't have anything about that in my notes, so I took some time this morning to create a cheat sheet based on what I could find on the web.

1) In some of the forums, they talked about how a crowsfoot adapter/extension when rotated backwards creates a reduction. I can't find a formula for that. Can someone look at my sheet, and let me know what I need to add to show that?

2) I still have some white space on the sheet, so if anyone sees anything I can add, if I'm missing anything, or something's wrong, I'd appreciate the feedback before I add this to my notes.

Thanks for your help!
Regards,
Leaning

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
leaning said:
In some of the forums, they talked about how a crowsfoot adapter/extension when rotated backwards creates a reduction. I can't find a formula for that. Can someone look at my sheet, and let me know what I need to add to show that?
Not an area I knew anything about, but from a little reading it looks to me as though this is already covered by what you have; it corresponds to θ values > 90 degrees. If used completely backwards, 180 degrees.

haruspex,

Yep, I think you're right. COS(0) = 1 (which is straight ahead and everything is in a straight line). When it rotates clockwise or counterclockwise from -90 to 90, the COS is positive so that "COS(theta) + AL" would be more positive (additive). But when the crowsfoot starts heading backwords (>90 and <-90), then the COS is negative, and "COS (theta) + AL" is less positive (reduction). So, yeah, the formula already works for that. Sweet.

I'm still hoping for someone to rip it apart, though. It bugs me to think I've got something down, then somebody pops up and sees stuff I am missing.

Thanks for the assist!

Regards, Leaning

Here's the latest version, if anyone is interested. (The deadline for editing my first post passed.) Regards, Leaning
torque wrench5.jpg

Their seems to be a problem in the last formula: "1 with 2 and 4".

'HEL' only has an effect when 'Force' is involved and 'Force' does not appear in that formula.

Likes billy_joule
Tom G,
Thanks! You are definitely right, but I can't find this example anywhere on the web, so I want to make sure I get the math right. I'm trying to figure it out. Here's the latest. (It's Excel vice PPT.)
Regards,
Leaning
Torque Wrench PPT.jpg

Your four equations are calculating different things.

The first two show ST based on applied force to the handle or handle extension.
(I don't see where this is particularly useful. Although it may have been included for completness. If needed, you can approximate it mentally.)

The second two equations (attempt) to show ST based on the desired torque of the fastener, FT. In these cases HEL is irrelevant so Eq. 4 would be the same as Eq. 3.

If you want to calculate Force for conditions 3 & 4, use the ST you get from them and then us Eq.1 or Eq. 2 as appropriate.

1. What is a backwards extension torque wrench formula?

A backwards extension torque wrench formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the torque required to tighten or loosen a bolt in a specific direction. It takes into account factors such as the length of the wrench, the force applied, and the angle of rotation.

2. How is the backwards extension torque wrench formula used?

The formula is used by inputting the values for the length of the wrench, the force applied, and the angle of rotation into the equation. The resulting value is the torque required to tighten or loosen the bolt in the specified direction.

3. What is a cheat sheet review for backwards extension torque wrench formula?

A cheat sheet review is a condensed summary of the key concepts and equations related to the backwards extension torque wrench formula. It is often used as a quick reference guide for those who frequently use the formula.

4. Are there any common mistakes when using the backwards extension torque wrench formula?

Yes, some common mistakes include using the wrong units for length, force, or angle, not accounting for the direction of rotation, and not considering any additional factors such as friction or the material of the bolt.

5. What are some practical applications of the backwards extension torque wrench formula?

The formula is commonly used in industries such as automotive, construction, and engineering, where precise torque measurements are necessary for proper assembly and maintenance of equipment. It is also useful for DIY projects and home repairs involving bolts.