Balanced forces - Electrical and Gravitational forces

In summary: When you switch to considering protons, the mass becomes much smaller, but the ratio of electric force to gravitational force is still 1.
hhhp8cec1

Homework Statement

Lets say I have two objects, with the same mass, m, and charge (+q), with a distance r between them. They repel each other due to electrical force, but they are attracted due to gravitational force.

My questions is: What should be their mass m such that they feel no net force?

Homework Equations

F (g) = GMm/r^2
F(e) = k q1q1/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

F(g) = F(e)
kq^2/r^2 = Gm^2 / r^2

Im getting a really small number when solving m = sqrt (k(q^2)/ g).
Is this a trick question ?
When taking the ratio of F(e)/F(g) I see that the electrical force is much stronger than Fg.

Thank you [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you get, and what did you use as charge?
hhhp8cec1 said:
When taking the ratio of F(e)/F(g) I see that the electrical force is much stronger than Fg.
That ratio should be 1 if your numbers are right.

hhhp8cec1 said:
Is this a trick question ?
Regardless of the question, you had two equations and found what you believed was the solution of those equations, but on plugging the numbers back in it does not seem to be a solution after all. So you made a mistake either in obtaining the solution or in checking it.
Please post your working.

hhhp8cec1 said:
That's because your answer is wrong. You have not posted any of the actual work or actual numbers or your answer, so how are we supposed to see where you went wrong?

You seem to setup and solve the equation correctly, but you must have done somewhere a mistake when replacing the quantities involved with real numbers and doing the arithmetic operations.

Likes lekh2003
Sorry for the lack of information. This is how I solved this question:
IMAG0229.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0229.jpg
    IMAG0229.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 733
Likes Delta2
hhhp8cec1 said:
Sorry for the lack of information. This is how I solved this question:View attachment 218311
I make it slightly more, 1.85x10-9kg. But you have not shown the rest of your calculation, where you find that Fg is much less than Fe.

Yes, in scientific mode I get the same result, 1.85 x 10 ^-9.

What got me confused was this explanation:
http://www.batesville.k12.in.us/physics/phynet/e&m/electrostatics/michaels_question.htm

"So, in fact, we have answered the original question - there is no distance at all at which the gravitational force between two electrons balances the electric force between them!"

But in this question, they referred to 2 protons/electrons, so that is a different case... When using the result 1.85x10^-9 and solving for the ratio I get 1, cool = ]

Thank you for your help

Likes Delta2
hhhp8cec1 said:
What got me confused was this explanation:
You originally considered the answer 1.85x10-9 kg as tiny, but you did not say you were dealing with electrons. In those terms, that mass is huge, over 1021 electron masses.

Likes Delta2

What is a balanced force?

A balanced force is a type of force that occurs when two opposing forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, resulting in a net force of zero. In other words, the forces acting on an object are balanced, causing the object to remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity.

How do electrical forces work?

Electrical forces are caused by the attraction or repulsion of electrically charged particles. These forces are governed by Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is the difference between electrical and gravitational forces?

Electrical forces are caused by the attraction or repulsion of electrically charged particles, while gravitational forces are caused by the mass of an object attracting other objects towards it. Additionally, electrical forces can be either attractive or repulsive, while gravitational forces are always attractive.

Can balanced forces be unbalanced?

No, by definition, balanced forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, resulting in a net force of zero. If one force were to become stronger or weaker than the other, the forces would become unbalanced and cause a change in the object's motion.

How do gravitational forces affect the motion of objects?

Gravitational forces can affect the motion of objects by causing them to accelerate towards the center of mass of larger objects. This can result in orbital motion or falling towards the larger object, depending on the initial velocity of the smaller object.