Balancing a Beam: Man and Cans Experiment

In summary, a man of mass 95 kg builds a platform to paint his house, using a uniform beam with a mass of 100 kg and a length of 7 meters. He stands on the support at point B and exerts a force of 490 N on the beam. To unbalance the beam, the person must stand at a distance of (some length) from the end closest to support A. In an experiment, the man removes one support and places the other at the opposite end. He has his daughter place paint cans, each of mass 2.9375 kg, on the end of the beam. To provide the best balance, the girl must place (number of cans) on the board. The equation for
davev

Homework Statement

5RiXGB0.gif

A man of mass mm = 95 kg decides to paint his house. To do this, he builds a platform using a uniform beam with a mass of mb = 100 kg and a length of L = 7 meters. The beam is supported by two sawhorses, as shown in the diagram above.

a)
If the man stands over the support at point B, calculate the force exerted by the beam on the support at A.

F = 490 N

b)
ovoCyRo.gif
How far from the end of the beam (the end closest to support A) does the person have to stand to unbalance the beam?

x =

c)
bgJhE5I.gif
Later that day, after thinking about how cool rotational dynamics really is, the man decides to conduct an experiment. He removes one of the supports and places the other as shown in the diagram. Standing at the end of the board, he has his daughter place paint cans, each of mass mc = 2.9375 kg, on the opposite end. How many cans will the girl have to place on the board to provide the best balance? (You may neglect the actual length of the board that both the man and the cans occupy. Assume both are points at the ends of the board.) Also, take the axis of rotation about the sawhorse.

Number of cans =

Homework Equations

For part b, we'd solve for x: (some length) * m = xM

I don't understand where to go for part c.

The Attempt at a Solution

I said (some length) was 1.5 and tried to multiply by 95 and divide by 100, and I keep getting the wrong answer. I don't know where to go for parts b and c.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint for b: at the point farthest from the left where the balance is still possible, the A support is completely unloaded.

Hint for b & c: write down the equation for torques.

Net Force = 0 ... Force of B – mg – Mg = 0
Net Torque = 0

(0)*sin(90) + mg*(some length)*sin(90) - Mg*(x)*sin(90) = 0
(some length)*m = xM

I just don't understand why 1.5 isn't the (some length) value for part b.

I don't understand part c still.

I do not understand what "some length" is supposed to mean to begin with. Nor do I understand what "m" and "M" are. It would help if you stated what forces are present in case b, and where they are applied, so that their torques could be expressed unambiguously.

m is 95 kg, and M is 100 kg. (some length) is a distance between A and B. (some length) + x = 3 m. I think that's correct, at least.

The two weights and a force pointing straight up are all that are present in part b.

With respect to what you are computing the torques? Note it must be the same point for all the torques. What are the distances from that point?

What do you mean? What is the distance from point B? Only two meters separate B and the end of the beam.

What is unclear in my question "with respect to what you are computing the torques"?

Maybe it's the wording, but I don't know what you're asking. I know that the setup I have for part b is right. That's how my professor set up his example in class. I just need to know what (some length), so I can find x.

davev said:
Net Force = 0 ... Force of B – mg – Mg = 0
Net Torque = 0

(0)*sin(90) + mg*(some length)*sin(90) - Mg*(x)*sin(90) = 0
(some length)*m = xM

I just don't understand why 1.5 isn't the (some length) value for part b.

I don't understand part c still.

Who says it's not?

davev said:
Maybe it's the wording, but I don't know what you're asking.

What is the definition of "torque"?

1. What is the purpose of balancing a beam in the Man and Cans Experiment?

The purpose of balancing a beam in this experiment is to demonstrate the concept of equilibrium and how it applies to a simple physical system. By adjusting the position of weights (represented by cans), the beam can be balanced and remain in a state of equilibrium.

2. What materials are needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a beam (such as a ruler or dowel), several cans or small weights, and a fulcrum (such as a pencil or pen). Optional materials may include a ruler, protractor, and tape measure for more precise measurements.

3. What are the steps to balancing a beam in this experiment?

The steps to balancing a beam in this experiment are as follows:

1. Place the fulcrum (pencil or pen) on a flat surface.
  2. Place the beam (ruler or dowel) on top of the fulcrum, making sure it is balanced and not tilted to one side.
  3. Add cans or weights to one side of the beam, starting with the same number on each side.
  4. Adjust the position of the cans on each side until the beam is balanced and remains level.
  5. Record the number of cans on each side and their distance from the fulcrum.

4. How does the position and number of cans affect the balance of the beam?

The position and number of cans on each side of the beam directly affect its balance. When the number of cans on each side is equal, the beam will be balanced. Moving the cans closer or further from the fulcrum will also affect the balance, with heavier cans needing to be placed closer to the fulcrum and lighter cans needing to be placed further from the fulcrum.

5. What real-world applications does this experiment have?

This experiment has real-world applications in understanding the concept of equilibrium and how it applies to various physical systems. It can also be used to introduce the idea of balancing forces in engineering and design, as well as in the study of simple machines and their functions.