Painter on a balance beam (rotational motion and Torque)

In summary, a man who weighs 90 kg and wants to paint his house builds a platform using a beam that weighs 91 kg and is 7 meters long. The beam is supported by two sawhorses, with one sawhorse placed 2 meters from the left end and the other placed 5 meters from the far left end. When the man stands at point B, the force exerted by the beam on the support at A can be calculated by equating the moments of the man's weight and the weight of the beam, with the reaction at B being zero. To unbalance the beam, the man must stand at a distance from the end closest to support A that makes the moments of all forces (except for the reaction at
wsc6c

Homework Statement

A man of mass mm = 90 kg decides to paint his house. To do this, he builds a platform using a uniform beam with a mass of mb = 91 kg and a length of L = 7 meters. The beam is supported by two sawhorses,

----------------------
A B
(distance from A to left is 2 m and distance from far left to B is 5m)

a) If the man stands over the support at point B, calculate the force exerted by the beam on the support at A.

b)How far from the end of the beam (the end closest to support A) does the person have to stand to unbalance the beam

c)Later that day, after thinking about how cool rotational dynamics really is, the man decides to conduct an experiment. He removes one of the supports and places the other as shown in the diagram. Standing at the end of the board, he has his daughter place paint cans, each of mass mc = 2.5 kg, on the opposite end. How many cans will the girl have to place on the board to provide the best balance? (You may neglect the actual length of the board that both the man and the cans occupy. Assume both are points at the ends of the board.) Also, take the axis of rotation about the sawhorse.

Homework Equations

Torque=rF sin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to sum all of the forces. Since I picked my axis at B that eliminates the torque of the man because it =0. If i assume that the force of the beam is in the center then r=1.5. I can't seem to get the right answer.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi wsc6c! Welcome to PF! :wink:
wsc6c said:
… If i assume that the force of the beam is in the center then r=1.5. I can't seem to get the right answer.

Sorry, I can't work out which question you're answering, or how you got 1.5. :confused:

Show us your full calculations, and then we can see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

I got the first answer so that is fine. Now, for the second question would you set both the torque of the man and the torque of the beam to be larger than the force of A and then solve for the distance from the axis in the torque equation of the man?
I got 1.5 because it is t, the distance from the center of the beam to B. If the total distance from the left to B is 5 then the distance from A to B is 3. 3/2=1.5

Hi wsc6c! :smile:
wsc6c said:
I got the first answer so that is fine. Now, for the second question would you set both the torque of the man and the torque of the beam to be larger than the force of A and then solve for the distance from the axis in the torque equation of the man?
I got 1.5 because it is t, the distance from the center of the beam to B. If the total distance from the left to B is 5 then the distance from A to B is 3. 3/2=1.5

ok, so you're answering …
b)How far from the end of the beam (the end closest to support A) does the person have to stand to unbalance the beam

The position of B doesn't matter … if the beam is about to unbalance, then the reaction at B will be zero.

You have to equate the moments of the other three forces (and if you take moments about A, you can ignore the reaction there anyway, so that only leaves the weights of the man and of the beam) …

so what do you get? :smile:

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or a center point. This type of motion involves an object rotating or spinning in a circular or curved path, rather than moving in a straight line.

2. How does the painter maintain balance on a balance beam?

The painter maintains balance on a balance beam by adjusting their center of mass, which is the point where the body's weight is evenly distributed. They also use their muscles to make small adjustments in their position and movements to maintain balance.

3. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes rotational motion. It is the product of the force applied to an object and the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. It is often described as a twisting or turning force.

4. How does torque affect the painter's movements on the balance beam?

Torque plays a crucial role in the painter's movements on the balance beam. The painter must carefully distribute their weight and adjust their movements to maintain a balance of torque on both sides of the beam. This allows them to stay on the beam without falling off.

5. What other factors besides torque and balance play a role in the painter's movements?

In addition to torque and balance, other factors that play a role in the painter's movements on the balance beam include their body position, muscle strength and control, and the friction between their feet and the beam. These factors all work together to help the painter maintain their balance and successfully perform their movements on the beam.