Ball Trajectory: Solve for x(t) & y(t) & y(x)

In summary, the problem involves finding the position of a ball shot from a cannon at an angle above the ground, neglecting air resistance. The equations for x(t) and y(t) are derived by integrating the equations for velocity in the x and y directions, and can be used to solve part a). To solve part b), one can try to find a function of y in terms of x by substituting t in one of the equations and using trigonometric identities.
majinsock

Homework Statement

A cannon shoots a ball at an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] above the horizontal ground

a) Neglecting air resistence, find the ball's position (x(t) and y(t)) as a function of time.

b) Take the above answer and find an equation for the ball's trajectory y(x).

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] = Vocos([itex]\theta[/itex])

[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] = Vosin([itex]\theta[/itex]) - gt

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I integrated both sides of both equations and ended up with:

x(t) = Vocos([itex]\theta[/itex])t

y(t) = Vosin([itex]\theta[/itex])t - 0.5gt2

which I'm pretty sure solves part a), but I'm having a lot of trouble finding a function of y in terms of x for part b). I tried messing around with some trigonometric identities but I get nowhere. Any tips?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to find t in terms of x or y from one of the equations you found for part a. Substitute that in the other equation.

1. What is ball trajectory?

Ball trajectory refers to the path that a ball takes when it is thrown or kicked through the air. It can be described using mathematical equations that take into account factors such as gravity, air resistance, and initial velocity.

2. How do you solve for x(t) and y(t) in ball trajectory?

To solve for x(t) and y(t) in ball trajectory, you will need to use the equations of motion, which take into account the initial position, velocity, acceleration, and time. These equations can be derived from the laws of motion and are different for horizontal and vertical motion.

3. What factors affect ball trajectory?

The factors that affect ball trajectory include gravity, air resistance, initial velocity, launch angle, and any external forces acting on the ball. These factors can impact the height, distance, and speed of the ball as it moves through the air.

4. How does air resistance impact ball trajectory?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect ball trajectory by slowing down the ball and altering its path. The greater the surface area of the ball, the more air resistance it will experience. This is why different types of balls, such as a soccer ball and a baseball, have different trajectories when thrown with the same force.

5. Can ball trajectory be predicted accurately?

While ball trajectory can be predicted using mathematical equations, it is not always possible to accurately predict the exact path of a ball due to the complexity of factors involved. Small changes in initial conditions or external forces can have a significant impact on the trajectory of the ball, making it difficult to predict with complete accuracy.