Ballentine: Decoherence doesn't resolve the measurement problem

In summary: As you can see, decoherence theory is a pragmatic approach that is based on the density matrix. However, it is not the only pragmatic approach that exists. The measurement problem is a foundational issue that needs to be resolved. Decoherence theory helps to resolve the measurement problem, but it is not the only solution to the problem.
Demystifier said:
In BM, there is a concept of conditional wave function. For instance, for two degrees of freedom ##x_1## and ##x_2## described by the full wave function ##\Psi(x_1,x_2,t)##, the conditional wave function of the first degree of freedom is
$$\psi_1(x_1,t)=\Psi(x_1,X_2(t),t)$$
where ##X_2(t)## is the Bohmian trajectory. According to BM, ##\Psi## never collapses. What collapses is ##\psi_1##. Decoherence, on the other hand, is something that happens with ##\Psi##. Actual outcomes, or lack of knowledge of the actual outcomes, is something related to ##\psi_1##.

How is it related to density matrices? The reduced density matrix is obtained from ##\Psi## as
$$\rho^{\rm reduced}_1={\rm Tr}_2|\Psi\rangle \langle\Psi|$$
which does not refer to ##\psi_1## at all. The lack-of-knowledge-about-the-outcome density matrix ##\rho^{\rm knowledge}_1##, on the other hand, is related to the lack of knowledge about ##\psi_1##. So in BM, ##\rho^{\rm reduced}_1## and ##\rho^{\rm knowledge}_1## are conceptually different.

Yes, they are conceptually different, but do they have the same form? Non-selective measurement is quite commonly said to be equivalent to decoherence (eg. the references tha @thephystudent gave). Can BM help see the conditions under which it might be correct to be confused?

Likes thephystudent
Physics news on Phys.org
atyy said:
Non-selective measurement is quite commonly said to be equivalent to decoherence (eg. the references tha @thephystudent gave). Can BM help see the conditions under which it might be correct to be confused?
I think they are not equivalent, and I guess BM helps to see why.

Demystifier said:
I think they are not equivalent, and I guess BM helps to see why.

But they do have the same form, or they don't have the same form?

In QM, the proper reduced density matrix has the same form as the improper reduced density matrix. Do the BM quantities correspond to each of these?

Demystifier said:
I think it's OK as a practical method that, however, does not help to solve the measurement problem. I'm not sure if it answers your question.

I can agree with you that this does also not give a very simple answer to the measurement problem (have we actually properly defined the problem anyway?), but it does seem to reflect some close connection between decoherence and measurement to me.

Demystifier said:
If you are talking about eigenstates of the measured microscopic system, then you are right. But if you are talking about states of the macroscopic pointer (measuring apparatus), they are always well localized in configuration space. In my view, BM is not so much about positions of electrons and photons, as it is about positions of macroscopic pointers (see the paper linked in my signature).

But don't all objects, large or small, have definite locations in BM?

atyy said:
But they do have the same form, or they don't have the same form?

In QM, the proper reduced density matrix has the same form as the improper reduced density matrix. Do the BM quantities correspond to each of these?
In that sense, they are the same.

Likes atyy
stevendaryl said:
But don't all objects, large or small, have definite locations in BM?
Some obviously don't. For example, a phonon (the quantum of sound).

Demystifier said:
Some obviously don't. For example, a phonon (the quantum of sound).
But the phonon is not an object. He asked if all objects have locations in BM.

martinbn said:
But the phonon is not an object.
Then what is it? A subject? A verb? o0)
Now seriously, define "object"!
Or more to the point, in what sense is a photon an object and a phonon isn't?

Likes atyy
Demystifier said:

Well, I don't actually know about BM applied to anything other than nonrelativistic phenomena. In nonrelativistic QM, the wave function is assumed to be a function of ##3N## dimensional configuration space, where ##N## is the number of particles. So what counts as a particle is sort of baked-in. I assumed that the same is true of Bohmian mechanics.

Demystifier said:
In that sense, they are the same.

So BM justifies the confusion, since in BM both types of reduced density matrices are concurently valid, and by calculating one of them the other is also automatically calculated. In comparison, the confusion is not so easy to justify in Copenhagen, since both types of reduced density matrices are not concurrently valid. Of course as you say, BM also clarifies why they are different (as does loose reasoning around Copenhagen).

stevendaryl said:
So what counts as a particle is sort of baked-in.
It is often said that photon is a particle while phonon is a quasiparticle. But it is more an expression of theoretical prejudices then an expression of experimental facts. At the level of effective theories, there is no any substantial difference between particles and quasiparticles. When someone says that photon is a particle (rather than a quasiparticle) it is not much more than expression of a naive belief that the current theory of photons is the fundamental theory, and not merely an effective theory that will one day be superseded by a more fundamental one.

Likes bhobba and atyy
Demystifier said:
It is often said that photon is a particle while phonon is a quasiparticle. But it is more an expression of theoretical prejudices then an expression of experimental facts. At the level of effective theories, there is no any substantial difference between particles and quasiparticles. When someone says that photon is a particle (rather than a quasiparticle) it is not much more than expression of a naive belief that the current theory of photons is the fundamental theory, and not merely an effective theory that will one day be superseded by a more fundamental one.

I'm not asking about the philosophical distinction between particle and quasiparticle. In the mathematical formalism of whatever theory, there are some basic entities. In nonrelativistic quantum mechanics, there are point-masses, for example. Clearly, what's modeled as a fundamental particle in one theory might be modeled as a composite particle or a quasiparticle in another theory. But I'm asking about BM.

Demystifier said:
The definition of a phonon says "A phonon is the quantum mechanical description of an elementary vibrational motion in which a lattice of atoms or molecules uniformly oscillates at a single frequency." How is that an object?!

martinbn said:
The definition of a phonon says "A phonon is the quantum mechanical description of an elementary vibrational motion in which a lattice of atoms or molecules uniformly oscillates at a single frequency." How is that an object?!
Well I scattered a laser beam off them while doing Raman spectroscopy for my doctorate.
Regards Andrew

Likes dlgoff and atyy
martinbn said:
Is there a reasonably rigorous definition of "photon" that does not invite the same question? I'm asking here, not arguing.

Likes bhobba, dlgoff, Demystifier and 1 other person
martinbn said:
You didn't answer my question(s). And by the way, the definition is wrong. A superposition of phonons of different frequencies is a phonon too.

Nugatory said:
Is there a reasonably rigorous definition of "photon" that does not invite the same question? I'm asking here, not arguing.
It may be that the same applies for the photon. I didn't bring that up, it was Demystifier. I don't know he did bring it up, I thought that Bohmian mechanics cannot deal with photons, after all they are relativistic. But for me there is at least one crucial difference. The photon can exist on its own, it can propagate in vacuum. The phonon on the other hand cannot, if you remove the lattice of atoms/molecules there are no phonons. Also I thought that elementary particles correspond to irreducible representations of so and so group, and there aren't any for phonons.

Likes Klystron
Demystifier said:
You didn't answer my question(s).
Giving the definition does answer your questions. You insists that the phonon is an object, you need to justify it.
Demystifier said:
And by the way, the definition is wrong. A superposition of phonons of different frequencies is a phonon too.
Definitions cannot be wrong. They can be inconstant or useless, but not wrong. In any case in your definition you allow that a superposition of phonons is also a phonon. Doesn't that make it even less of an object?

martinbn said:
It may be that the same applies for the photon. I didn't bring that up, it was Demystifier. I don't know he did bring it up, I thought that Bohmian mechanics cannot deal with photons, after all they are relativistic. But for me there is at least one crucial difference. The photon can exist on its own, it can propagate in vacuum. The phonon on the other hand cannot, if you remove the lattice of atoms/molecules there are no phonons. Also I thought that elementary particles correspond to irreducible representations of so and so group, and there aren't any for phonons.

Feynman developed a reformulation of electromagnetism that eliminated the electromagnetic field as an independent variable. In his reformulation, the electromagnetic field was completely determined by the motions of charged particles. I don't know whether a Bohmian version of that theory might be possible.

martinbn said:
In any case in your definition you allow that a superposition of phonons is also a phonon. Doesn't that make it even less of an object?
1) Is wave function an object? Is vector an object?
2) Is photon an object?
3) Is Schrodinger cat an object?

Likes bhobba
Demystifier said:
2) Is photon an object?

I think that the issue is more well-constrained than that. In Bohmian mechanics (the nonrelativistic version), there is an associated wave function, ##\psi(x_1, y_1, z_1, x_2, y_2, z_2, ..., t)##. The triples ##(x_j, y_j, z_j)## are interpreted to be the location of particle number ##j##. So it seems that you have to figure out what a "particle" is in order to apply Bohmian mechanics. Quantum mechanics in its Dirac formalism seems a little more general, in that you can stipulate arbitrary states of the system; states don't have to be associated with particle positions.

Demystifier said:
2) Is photon an object?
1) No, no. These are not physical objects.
2), 3) Yes, yes.

You keep asking questions, but you give no answers nor explanations.
1) What is an object?
2) Why is the phonon an object?

Demystifier said:
define "object"!

You gave a phonon as an example of an object that doesn't have a definite position in BM. You must have had some definition of "object" in mind in order to make that claim. What definition was it?

PeterDonis said:
You gave a phonon as an example of an object that doesn't have a definite position in BM. You must have had some definition of "object" in mind in order to make that claim. What definition was it?
For our purposes, an object is anything that, in principle, can cause a click in a detector.

Likes andrew s 1905
martinbn said:
1) No, no. These are not physical objects.
2), 3) Yes, yes.

You keep asking questions, but you give no answers nor explanations.
1) What is an object?
2) Why is the phonon an object?
Before I answer you, please explain me the main difference between photon and phonon that reflects the idea that one is an object and another isn't.

Demystifier said:
Before I answer you, please explain me the main difference between photon and phonon that reflects the idea that one is an object and another isn't.
I said that in post #53. For me it is important to distinguish objects from collective behavior of objects. A football crowd that is chanting is different from one that isn't, but it is pointless to say that there is an object "chant".
Demystifier said:
For our purposes, an object is anything that, in principle, can cause a click in a detector.
I disagree, I think for the purposes here it is way too vague. Would you say that a gravitational wave is an object, given that the space-time of such a wave is empty?!

Demystifier said:
So the Moon is not an object?

Likes dextercioby
A. Neumaier said:
Demystifier said:
Heh, I'm pretty sure the Moon would cause a gigantic click when it hits your detector... :biggrin:

Likes Klystron, thephystudent, Demystifier and 2 others
martinbn said:
I said that in post #53. For me it is important to distinguish objects from collective behavior of objects. A football crowd that is chanting is different from one that isn't, but it is pointless to say that there is an object "chant".
A photon is a collective excitation of quantum electromagnetic field.

martinbn said:
Would you say that a gravitational wave is an object
Yes I would.

A. Neumaier said:
It's not difficult to construct a device that clicks whenever the (picture of the) Moon appears in the telescope.

Last edited:
martinbn said:
The photon can exist on its own, it can propagate in vacuum.
And what is the definition of vacuum? You will probably say - the absence of particles. Fine, but then what is the definition of a particle? Do you see a circularity here?

martinbn said:
The phonon on the other hand cannot, if you remove the lattice of atoms/molecules there are no phonons.
Likewise, if you remove the lattice of electromagnetic fields (in lattice regularization of quantum electrodynamics), then there are no photons.

Ghostly Object or low-lying quanta? Still Object though..:woot:

Hi,

There are many words such as object, property, phenomenon that are open to interpretation in physics.

"misnaming an object is adding up misery in this world". (Albert Camus)

/Patrick

Likes Demystifier and atyy
Demystifier said:
Isn't that a too vague criterion? Then a rain bow and even the blue sky would be an object. I wonder what is not an object but can be seen, felt, tasted etc.