Baltimore riots after Freddie Gray funeral

• News
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, I know the stats. Shall US gov set free some Blacks and instead imprison some Asians to keep racial quota right? ;)I'm skeptical. Would you have a source for the contention that that there's "little improvement" over time or that police abuse is not addressed, as a general issue. Because if its not true, then you're aiding the agitators:There are a dozen major issues that contribute to this societal decay. A comprehensive solution is needed, but I am not convinced such a plan can be correctly conceived or implemented.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Riots erupted in Baltimore Monday afternoon, hours after thousands mourned Freddie Gray — the man who died earlier this month while in police custody — at a funeral where his family and other community leaders called for peace.

Television footage showed rioters setting police cars on fire, looting stores and throwing rocks at officers. At least 15 police officers were hurt, officials said, and several arrests were made.

Riots in Baltimore raise questions about police response
http://news.yahoo.com/riots-baltimore-raise-questions-police-response-072648181.html

Social media captures fiery images of Baltimore riots
http://news.yahoo.com/social-media-reaction-to-baltimore-unrest-221502252.html

Anger and protesting are justified, but rioting and looting is not. Arson and destruction of property won't resurrect Freddie Gray, won't bring justice; they are counterproductive.Hey Baltimore, What's Going On?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Addem, HossamCFD and lisab
Physics news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
Riots in Baltimore raise questions about police response
http://news.yahoo.com/riots-baltimore-raise-questions-police-response-072648181.html

Social media captures fiery images of Baltimore riots
http://news.yahoo.com/social-media-reaction-to-baltimore-unrest-221502252.html

Anger and protesting are justified, but rioting and looting is not. Arson and destruction of property won't resurrect Freddie Gray, won't bring justice; they are counterproductive.Hey Baltimore, What's Going On?!
Counterproductive? Why are you assuming that there is some far reaching aim beyond pleasure of "arson and destruction of property"? (except maybe not mentioned pleasure from brawl and looting)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes mheslep
Maybe rioters believe they have exhausted the official channels, that working within the system does not change things.

WWGD said:
Maybe rioters believe they have exhausted the official channels, that working within the system does not change things.
Hard to say. Any evidence that any of actual rioters tried official channels?

Or if we're playing white guilt, I've got a better suggestion - it's just their tribal warfare tradition towards which we're insensitive? :D
(actually I have such [edit: tribal warfare tradition] to much smaller extend among so called football fans and nationalists in my country)

A black male has a 1-in-3 chance of going to prison in his life, there have been incidents of police mistreatment for many years, many incidents of police shootings, all of this has been going on for many years with little improvement; it is not even being addressed when the issue is raised. And there are people who make a living as agitators of this anger.

Last edited:
There are at least a dozen major issues that contribute to this societal decay. A comprehensive solution is needed, but I am not convinced such a plan can be correctly conceived or implemented.

Don't think the 'riot' had anything to do with the Freddie Gray protest. Most of the people in the town were horrified by what happened and most didn't like what they saw their children doing.

I've been in protest for wrongs in the 1960's, we didn't throw rocks at the police, loot, steal and burn down property. Those that did were criminals in a riot, period. People like the mom in the video know the difference.

Likes Qwertywerty, atyy, Astronuc and 1 other person
WWGD said:
A black male has a 1-in-3 chance of going to prison in his life, there have been incidents of police mistreatment for many years, many incidents of police shootings, all of this has been going on for many years with little improvement; it is not even being addressed when the issue is raised. And there are people who make a living as agitators of this anger.
Yes, I know the stats. Shall US gov set free some Blacks and instead imprison some Asians to keep racial quota right? ;)

And more seriously - gov has got limited devices here, especially those that can work quickly (yes, in long run some mixture of better education starting at kindergarten with resocialization may work). I mean the victimisation rates show that Blacks are overrepresented as both crime perpetrators and victims. If gov arrests less Blacks, would the remaining ones be really better off?

nsaspook said:
Don't think the 'riot' had anything to do with the Freddie Gray protest. Most of the people in the town were horrified by what happened and most didn't like what they saw their children doing.

I've been in protest for wrongs in the 1960's, we didn't throw rocks at the police, loot, steal and burn down property. Those that did were criminals in a riot, period. People like the mom in the video know the difference.
I may point out govs that were overthrown by people protesting in more peaceful manner. (like Velvet Revolution in Czechoslovakia or Orange Revolution in Ukraine)

WWGD said:
... there have been incidents of police mistreatment for many years, many incidents of police shootings, all of this has been going on for many years with little improvement; it is not even being addressed when the issue is raised. ...
I'm skeptical. Would you have a source for the contention that that there's "little improvement" over time or that police abuse is not addressed, as a general issue. Because if its not true, then you're aiding the agitators:
And there are people who make a living as agitators of this anger.

Likes phinds
mheslep said:
I'm skeptical. Would you have a source for the contention that that there's "little improvement" over time or that police abuse is not addressed, as a general issue. Because if its not true, then you're aiding the agitators:

People react based on_ their perception_ of what is true, not on what is true or not.

EDIT:Still, e.g.:
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...k-the-black-white-gap-in-incarceration-rates/

Last edited:
nsaspook said:

Those were days of economic expansion, where you could take years off the job market, come back and find a reasonable job, with barely a high school degree. That takes the edge of to a good degree.

WWGD said:
People react based on_ their perception_ of what is true, not on what is true or not.
Agreed. Your earlier post was an assertion of fact though.

Clearly the demonstrators have allowed their justified anger to overcome what little sense they may have had. Burning down your own neighborhood is not really a smart move. Now if they had gone over to the mayors neighborhood and burned IT down, I could credit them with some intelligence, even while wishing to see them all in jail.

Likes Muti
WWGD said:
Those were days of economic expansion, ...
and Jim Crow laws, segregated schools, and common, murderous police injustice against minorities from all-white police forces.

Last edited:
Likes nsaspook
phinds said:
Burning down your own neighborhood is not really a smart move.
I'd wager that the youths that took part in the violence are not in the top of their class.

mheslep said:
Agreed. Your earlier post was an assertion of fact though.
You're right, I will look for more data; I edited one link in. Still, the 1/3 probability I way too high.

mheslep said:
and Jim Crow laws, segregated schools, and commonly murderous police injustice against minorities from all white police forces.
I am stating that the white protesters, which I assume NSA spook to be, who never threw rocks, nor burnt/destroyed property had a nice cushion to fall back on: go protest, spend a few years finding yourself, then go back and make a reasonable living. Of course different story for black protestors. It takes the edge of to good degree to know that after your protests, without the need to go to school and spend $50,000 + in debt, you will likely find a decent job . This is way too rare nowadays, and adds to the general anxiety over race issues.

WWGD said:
I am stating that the white protesters, ...
People have had suffered much worse and found away to protest without burning things down and inflicting grievous injury.

130820202733-mlk-dream-story-top.jpg

The riots in Baltimore particularly incense me. They're due ostensibly to the police paddy-wagon roundabout road trip caused death of Gray, which is tragic and if found malicious should have criminal consequences. I had a close friend, female, white, who was subject to similar treatment some many years ago by Washington DC police officers who picked her and another woman up outside a party for some minor or bogus infringement and hauled them at speed violently around in the back of a paddy wagon, apparently not an uncommon tool of the cops. The ride beat both women up good with bruises and cuts. The incident was infuriating though nobody died. Nor in response did anyone start burning up police cars and buildings or putting cops in the hospital, nor did they for the several hundred non-black US residents killed by police (reported) in a given year or the http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/lt/lt_cache/thumbnail/960/img/photos/2014/11/28/17/41/WEB113014-ohio-ferguson-killed-5g_1.jpg in a given year.

Last edited:
Likes nsaspook, Astronuc, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
mheslep said:
People have had suffered much worse and found away to protest without burning things down and inflicting grievous injury.
Different times, different people. The black family was better put together back then. Now it's a total disaster.

Likes phinds and mheslep
I live in the second most segregated city in the US. I volunteer in the inner city every week. My wife works at an inner city school. The stories we could tell. It's heartbreaking and scary. It's a real crisis with dozens of causes.

Likes lisab
WWGD said:
I am stating that the white protesters, which I assume NSA spook to be, who never threw rocks, nor burnt/destroyed property had a nice cushion to fall back on: go protest, spend a few years finding yourself, then go back and make a reasonable living. Of course different story for black protestors. It takes the edge of to good degree to know that after your protests, without the need to go to school and spend $50,000 + in debt, you will likely find a decent job . This is way too rare nowadays, and adds to the general anxiety over race issues.

You would be wrong in your assumption. I was born poor, and 'negro' in cotton country Texas in the 1950's. The people there have every right to protest but they have zero right to commit criminal acts of arson and mayhem while behaving like hooligans.

I don't know about you but I feel bad, really I do :woot:

nsaspook said:
You would be wrong in your assumption. I was born poor, and 'negro' in cotton country Texas in the 1950's. The people there have every right to protest but they have zero right to commit criminal acts of arson and mayhem while behaving like hooligans.
My bad, I was wrong, sorry.

Greg Bernhardt said:
The black family was better put together back then. Now it's a total disaster.

It's amazing to think that the Great Society managed to do what Jim Crow couldn't.

Likes mheslep
Vanadium 50 said:
It's amazing to think that the Great Society managed to do what Jim Crow couldn't.
Who says this is a result of the Great Society?

Walter Williams, George Mason Econ Professor

The welfare state has done to black Americans what slavery couldn't do, what Jim Crow couldn't do, what the harshest racism couldn't do. And that is to destroy the black family.

Thomas Sowell, Econ Professor, author

The black family, which had survived centuries of slavery and discrimination, began rapidly disintegrating in the liberal welfare state that subsidized unwed pregnancy and changed welfare from an emergency rescue to a way of life.

mheslep said:
Walter Williams, George Mason Econ Professor
Thomas Sowell, Econ Professor, author

If the ultra-hard right says so, I guess. Maybe I could counter with an article by Chomsky, would you buy it? Give me something from, e.g., The Aspen Institute.

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
And Hitler was a vegetarian. That makes vegetarianism wrong.

You can complain post hoc ergo propter hoc (on many issues, not just this one), but "I'm a leftie and these guys are righties, so therefore they are wrong" is intellectually bankrupt. As for Noam, I know Noam. He is wrong about a great many things, and when he is passionate about an issue he argues badly. But he's not wrong about everything, and yes, if he presented a clear and convincing argument, I would take it seriously.

It is a fact that poverty rates are higher in single mother families - irrespective of race. It is also true that single motherhood rates soared in the 60's, at the time the government policy was to subsidize such behavior. Now, you can argue this wasn't causal, and one cannot prove otherwise, as there is no control group. But it sure looks causal, and it also looks a lot better than the alternative theory that poverty rates were blowing up anyway and the Great Society came along just in time to prevent this from blowing up even faster than it actually did.

Likes mheslep
That is not the argument I am making; so much for your false assumptions. I go by probabilities, which I think is the best that one can do: the highest likelihood of finding a reasonable explanation is by looking at the center. I don't have time to suffer the fools at neither MSNBC nor FOX, nor at the editorial pages of WSJ or the NYT and try to somehow average their biases. And I don't have time to examine every single view on its own terms. So I go by what my experience tells me: the center is more likely to get it right than the far left or the far right.

WWGD said:
If the ultra-hard right says so, I guess. Maybe I could counter with an article by Chomsky, would you buy it?
It would help if he got himself a degree in economics or political science* --- or even if he wrote in a less crazy-sounding/more intellectual tone. A lot of his writing is really bad, stylistically. Did you read either of the cited articles? They were even-toned and fact-based. Perhaps there are alternative explanations for the phenomena - and I'd be interested to hear/read them - but the case made was pretty strong/logical.

More specifically about the current issue, one thing not discussed previously in the thread is the role of the media and politicians in stirring-up the unrest (though "instigators" was mentioned). The Ferguson coverage, in particular, was a disgrace. Now the "protesters" have a powerful sign and slogan and those that helped create it care very little that it's a flat-out lie. I can't be certain Baltimore's mayor was influenced by the media blaming the police for the rioting in Ferguson, but she made a conscious decision to hold her police back, a dangerously wrong decision:
“I made it very clear that I work with the police and instructed them to do everything that they could to make sure that the protesters were able to exercise their right to free speech,” Rawlings-Blake said. “It’s a very delicate balancing act. Because while we try to make sure that they were protected from the cars and other things that were going on, we also gave those who wished to destroy space to do that as well. And we worked very hard to keep that balance and to put ourselves in the best position to de-escalate.”
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/...those-who-wished-to-destroy-space-to-do-that/

That was on Saturday and it has gotten much worse since then.

*That said, professions/major attract people who are passionate about those things. So often political scientists are the most biased - in either direction - about politics. I had a prof in "Public Opinion and Propaganda" who just couldn't help himself derailing entire lectures on tangents to preach his views. He once spent an entire class bragging and arguing about how he succeeded in getting the college to de-Christmas.

Last edited:
Vanadium 50 said:
It is a fact that poverty rates are higher in single mother families - irrespective of race.
I think it is an important point that that isn't strictly a race issue. It just looks like a race issue because blacks make-up a larger than proportional fraction of the poor. Still, the narrative is an easier sell as a race issue because if someone asks "why can't I make my own way in the world?", there isn't as convenient/popular of an answer to provide to those of other races.

The really depressing thing is watching CSPAN's book TV. We finally get exposure to many different sides of many issues. Good part ends there; most presentations just preach to their respective choirs; it would be nice to have the views presented to a non-friendly, if not hostile crowd, to force those who hold
a view to tighten it up. Cowards on both side insult those who disagree with them and engage in red herrings, but rarely, if ever to their faces. I have emailed many authors to call attention to this, but only received an answer once.
I ultimately don't have much time to read outside of my school/work, so my best bet is to look for sources I believe are less likely to be biased.

Last edited:
WWGD said:
...so my best bet is to look for sources I believe are less likely to be biased.
I prefer to choose sources with known biases on opposite sides and/or evaluate biases in what I see. The danger in trying to choose unbiased sources is you can fool yourself into thinking your sources are unbiased when they are not and be less on-guard to see through them. The reality is that no one is bias free and some of the biggest danger of deception comes from the softer-toned biases because they are harder to recognize and therefor combat.

Either way, it is bad form to request a source and then hand-wave it away without even reading it (maybe if it was Rush Limbaugh, but it wasn't). If you posted a Chomsky article on the topic, I would at least read it and tell you why I thought it was wrong.

Last edited:
WWGD said:
My bad, I was wrong, sorry.
No sweat. There were groups in the movement that believed violence should be be met with violence and were given time to rant, they have all fallen into the ash heap of history by the hard working people who worked inside the system to change it. I personally think there is no doubt that police violence involves race and it needs to be protested against and stopped but when it comes to anarchy the decision is easy for me to say, they can go the hell, we don't need them.