Bard the Google AI is just as silly as the other AI programs

In summary, the conversation reveals that the speaker was invited to try Google's AI machine, Bard. They asked it to list research papers by their PhD supervisor, but only a small subset of papers were listed, all of which were published before 1975. When the speaker pointed out that their supervisor was still alive, Bard apologized and corrected their status and current university. The speaker then asked if they had published any papers themselves, and Bard listed three papers with incorrect titles and one in the wrong journal, but with the correct page number. The speaker notes that for better results, one needs to ask better questions and consider assumptions and context.
DrJohn
TL;DR Summary
Reported someone as dead, claimed he died in 1975, but was still publishing in 1980
So I got an invite to try Bard, Google's AI machine.
I asked it to list research papers by my PhD supervisor in the area we had worked on. It listed just five (clearly a very small subset) with none published after 1975.

So I asked again but this time asked for papers after 1975. Again it listed only five papers, a small subset that went up to 1980.

Then it said that he had passed away in 1975 and that the papers it had just listed had been published before he died, in 1975. Strange given that there was one for each year of 1976 - 1980.

When I pointed out my old supervisor was still alive, it apologised and told me he was alive, and listed correctly his current status and which Uni he was working at (I checked and it was correct this time).

Looks like Google is having the same problems with lying about the living and the dead. Anyone else tried Bard yet? Any better results than mine?

Computer science news on Phys.org
For a laugh, just in case I had died too and not noticed, I asked it if I had published any papers in the field I had researched. It replied listing only three papers, all with the wrong title ! and one in the wrong journal but with the correct page number!

• Wow
Likes FactChecker
For better answers just as in this forum, one needs to make a better question and focus on assumptions and context. Yet for elementary common sense only a few words are needed. likewise, We can’t blame professors for wrong answers but they would not make such obvious faux pas, yet it may have perfect spelling and syntax.

It’s not perfect, nor am I.

Likes SparkBird

1. What is the purpose of Bard, the Google AI?

Bard is a language model AI developed by Google to improve natural language processing and conversational abilities.

2. Is Bard similar to other AI programs?

Yes, Bard shares many similarities with other AI programs in terms of its capabilities and functions.

3. What makes Bard silly compared to other AI programs?

Bard is programmed to have a more playful and humorous tone, making it seem more silly compared to other AI programs that prioritize information and tasks.

4. Can Bard be used for serious purposes?

While Bard's primary purpose is to enhance natural language processing, it can also be used for more serious purposes such as generating text for news articles or customer service interactions.

5. Is there a way to turn off Bard's silly responses?

Currently, there is no way to turn off Bard's silly responses as it is a core feature of the AI. However, users can provide feedback to Google to improve and adjust Bard's responses over time.