Basic Calculus: Solving for x in sinx(lnx)=0 over [0, 2pi]

In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of x when sinx(lnx)=0 over the interval [0, 2pi]. The attempted solution involves moving sinx to the other side to get lnx=0, but this is incorrect as sinx is an operator. The correct approach is to consider what values of x would make sinx=0, and then set the argument of the sin to those values. This results in 3 solutions, but one of them is not in the domain of the ln function.
name_ask17

Homework Statement

If sinx(lnx)=0 over [0, 2pi] then x=_____

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was to move sin over to the other side to get lnx= 0/sinx and then get lnx=0, making x=1. But is it incorrect to just move sinx over to the other side, because if i move lnx over to the other side, i would get x=0. Can you please explain to me what I am doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if those are factors; Sin(x) and ln(x). Then there are 4 solutions. You found ln(1)=0 then you just need to find those values that makes Sin(x)=0, one of the solutions are not legit since they are not defined by ln(x)

The question has nothing to do with calculus though :P

Last edited:
how do you know there are 4 solutions?
and yes, this is just our summer review to go into calc. lol

Then you should have posted this in the Precalculus subforum instead. :-p

There are 3 solutions because,
there is 1 solution in [0, 2π] where ln x = 0, and
there are 2 solutions in [0, 2π] where sin x = 0 (a 3rd is not in the domain of the ln x function).

Last edited:
eumyang said:
Then you should have posted this in the Precalculus subforum instead. :-p

There are 4 solutions because,
there is 1 solution in [0, 2π] where ln x = 0, and
there are 3 solutions in [0, 2π] where sin x = 0.
I get 3 solutions. One of the 3 solutions in [0, 2π] for which sin x = 0 is not in the domain of the ln function.

You can't really just move the sine over like that. Sin is an operator! What you need to do is consider what would make sin(something) = 0. (consult your unit circle). Once you have those 2 solutions, set the argument of the sin to that.
ln(x) = solution 1
ln(x) = solution 2
etc.

name_ask17 said:
If sinx(lnx)=0 over [0, 2pi] then x=_____

QuarkCharmer said:
You can't really just move the sine over like that. Sin is an operator! What you need to do is consider what would make sin(something) = 0. (consult your unit circle). Once you have those 2 solutions, set the argument of the sin to that.
ln(x) = solution 1
ln(x) = solution 2
etc.
QuarkCharmer, you're misreading the problem, which is understandable due to the way the OP wrote the problem. Howebver, the expression on the left is a product, not a composition. It's sin(x) * ln(x), not sin(ln(x)).

My mistake, feel free to delete my post(s)

Mark44 said:
One of the 3 solutions in [0, 2π] for which sin x = 0 is not in the domain of the ln function.
Ack, that's what I get for blinding following someone else's post. :redface: Post corrected.

Related to Basic Calculus: Solving for x in sinx(lnx)=0 over [0, 2pi]

1. What is calculus and why is it important?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change. It is important because it allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of complex systems, such as motion, growth, and optimization.

2. What are the two main branches of calculus?

The two main branches of calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with the study of rates of change, while integral calculus deals with the accumulation of quantities over a given interval.

3. What are the basic concepts in calculus?

The basic concepts in calculus include limits, derivatives, and integrals. Limits are used to describe the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. Derivatives measure the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. Integrals measure the total area under a curve.

4. How is calculus used in real life?

Calculus has many practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and solve real-world problems involving rates of change, optimization, and accumulation.

5. What are some tips for mastering basic calculus?

To master basic calculus, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. Practice solving problems and understanding the underlying concepts. Also, make use of resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems to reinforce your understanding.