Basic circuit operation of voltage regulator

In summary, the homework statement states that a sensing resistor, R1, is used to detect excess current through a transistor, Q1, and that when Q1 senses a voltage drop at its base, it switches on and passes current around the regulator. Error resistor, R2, senses a voltage drop to switch on Q2 at the base to divert current away from Q1. The mechanism that causes the current diversion into the regulator is explained.
CNC101

Homework Statement

upload_2016-2-23_19-11-30.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to know if my understanding of this circuit is correct in terms of R1, R2, Q1, Q2.

R1 is a sensing resistor and when Q1 senses a voltage drop at its base, it switches on and passes current around the regulator. I think when there is excess current at Q1 it switches off and error resistor R2 senses a volt drop to switch on Q2 at the base to divert current away from Q1. I think I'm close, who knows.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your first sentence.

The second sentence is a bit confusing in that cause and effect seem out of order.
CNC101 said:
...when there is excess current at Q1 it switches off and error resistor R2 senses a volt drop...

How can R2 sense anything if Q1 is off?
When Q2 is turned on, what happens to the voltage across R1?

R1 is a sensing resistor and when Q1 senses a voltage drop at its base, it switches on and passes current around the regulator. When the voltage across R2 (error resistor) increases to a value just below Q1 max emitter-collector current limit, Q2 switches on and shunts R1 by creating a low resistance path and diverting current into the regulator and thus protecting the "pass transistor" Q1 from overload current.

Last edited:
Well... mostly. I think I'll be a little picky here.

CNC101 said:
...a low resistance path and diverting current into the regulator...

Could you explain the mechanism that causes the current diversion into the regulator?

Well I think inside the regulator is a forward biased zener diode which diverts excess current to its ground or "ADJ" in the diagram. Its own low resistance path means large changes of current have a small affect on its voltage and therefore protecting the load from excess current.

The first sentence in your original post was an the right track.
CNC101 said:
R1 is a sensing resistor and when Q1 senses a voltage drop at its base, it switches on and passes current around the regulator.

Here is why I said cause and effect were out of order in post #2.
When there is excess current thru Q1, the voltage drop across R2 turns on Q2. Q2 shorts R1 depriving Q1 of base drive. This forces the regulator to handle most of the load current, and the regulator either goes into current limit or shuts down due to over heating.

BTW: The regulator output stage is very much like the R1, R2, Q1, Q2 circuit. The difference is that the base of Q1 is also driven by the difference between the ADJ input and an internal reference voltage (often around 1.25V). If you're interested, there is a regulator schematic on pg.12 at http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm117.pdf. The output stage (Q1 in your ckt.) is Q25,26 on the right edge of the diagram, and the overcurrent sense resistor is R26 (R2 in your ckt.)

Well I know a lot more now than when I started, Thanks!

Related to Basic circuit operation of voltage regulator

1. What is the purpose of a voltage regulator in a circuit?

A voltage regulator is used to maintain a constant output voltage in a circuit, regardless of any fluctuations in the input voltage. It ensures that the electronic devices in the circuit receive a steady and reliable supply of power, preventing any damage due to overvoltage or undervoltage.

2. How does a voltage regulator work?

A voltage regulator works by continuously monitoring the output voltage and comparing it to a reference voltage. If the output voltage is too high, the regulator will decrease the voltage, and if it is too low, the regulator will increase the voltage. This is achieved through the use of electronic components such as transistors, diodes, and resistors.

3. What are the different types of voltage regulators?

There are three main types of voltage regulators: linear regulators, switching regulators, and shunt regulators. Linear regulators use a variable resistor to dissipate excess voltage, while switching regulators use a high-frequency switching circuit to regulate the voltage. Shunt regulators work by diverting excess current away from the load, thus maintaining a constant voltage.

4. What are the advantages of using a voltage regulator?

One of the main advantages of using a voltage regulator is that it ensures a constant and stable output voltage, which is crucial for the proper functioning of electronic devices. It also protects the circuit from any damage due to voltage fluctuations and helps to prolong the lifespan of the components.

5. How do I choose the right voltage regulator for my circuit?

When choosing a voltage regulator, you should consider factors such as the input and output voltage requirements, the amount of current the regulator needs to handle, and the type of load the circuit will be powering. It is also important to select a regulator with adequate thermal protection and short-circuit protection to ensure the safety of the circuit.