Basic physics confusion in my structure

In summary: I don't understand why they would use 3kg for the mass if it's only going to be using the mass of the bottom block. In summary, this question confuses me.
My physics core is a little bit weak, and this one question confuses me.

Homework Statement

A 3kg box sits on top of a 7 kg box. The object accelerates at 1 m/s^2. Find the force applied on the bottom block; if there are no forces besides this one.

Homework Equations

F= ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So, my initial attempt was F = m * a. m = 7kg + 3kg = 10 kg. F = 10 N.

However, this is incorrect. The answer is supposed to be 3 kg. They only take the bottom block into account and this is extremely confusing for me. Of course, this is from an even larger kinematics question; but this is the only step I do not understand. And it's basically exactly the same as the one I'm asking now.

Why do we use 3 kg, and not 10 kg?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is "the object" here?

The object would be the two blocks, relative to the ground. Could one split this larger object into two smaller objects, and say the force on the bottom block is 7N and the force on the top block is 3N?

I'll tell you the bigger question, that I summarized.

So basically there's two blocks sitting on top of each other. The friction between the blocks is 15 N and the friction between the block and the floor is 10 N.

This means on the bottom block there is a force of 5 N (forward) [since the top block is the one moving, and the frictional force is causing the bottom block to move]

So I'm confused as what mass to use now to find the acceleration.

F = ma

Would it be the mass of the two blocks combined, or can I just use the mass of the bottom block? This is very confusing for me. The correct answer uses only the mass of the bottom block, but I don't understand why

Last edited:
I suggest that you state the problem EXACTLY as it was given.

I apologize for not being clear.

Okay, so basically there is this block:

knight_Figure_08_32.jpg

The friction between the two blocks (Us = 0.6) and between the floor and the block is Us = 0.2

I draw a freebody diagram and see for the bottom block there is a force of friction with the floor to the left and a force of friction with the block on top to the right, causing said block to move right.

We can say that Ff_block - Ff_floor = ma

Which gives me 9.8 N = ma

I'm confused as to what to use for the mass. The correct answer uses 3kg for the mass, but it should be using 7kg as that's the objects weight. So it seems as if they are splitting the block up. How can they do this? I don't understand how they can use 3 kg for the mass

What are you supposed to find? What else is given?

x86 said:
I'm confused as to what to use for the mass. The correct answer uses 3kg for the mass, but it should be using 7kg as that's the objects weight. So it seems as if they are splitting the block up. How can they do this? I don't understand how they can use 3 kg for the mass
If you are analyzing forces on the bottom block then of course you'll use the mass of that block in applying Newton's laws.

Likes 1 person
Doc Al said:
If you are analyzing forces on the bottom block then of course you'll use the mass of that block in applying Newton's laws.

Ah that's all I really wanted to know, I guess. I was confused, because I was thinking of both blocks as one object

1. What is the difference between mass and weight in physics?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is the force exerted on an object by gravity. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg) and is constant, while weight is measured in newtons (N) and can change depending on the strength of gravity.

2. How do forces affect motion in physics?

Forces can either cause an object to start moving, stop moving, or change its direction of motion. In physics, the net force on an object determines its acceleration, and the object will continue to move at a constant speed if the net force is zero.

3. What is the difference between velocity and speed in physics?

Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both the speed and direction of an object's motion. It is measured in meters per second (m/s). Speed, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that only describes how fast an object is moving, without considering its direction. It is also measured in meters per second (m/s).

4. How does energy conservation work in physics?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. In other words, energy cannot be lost, it can only be transformed.

5. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy in physics?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. Kinetic energy is directly proportional to an object's mass and its velocity squared, while potential energy depends on factors such as height and elasticity.