Basic projectile motion question

In summary, the maximum height of a ball thrown vertically upwards can be found by dividing the maximum range equation by two, which is derived from the kinematical equations. Therefore, the maximum height in this scenario would be 7.5m.
gorays1414
If I can throw a ball on a level field with a range of 15 m, how high would the ball travel if the same throw was made vertically?

Using the range equation, I found the velocity to be 12.1 m/s, and the final answer to be 7.5m. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it is 7.5m assuming 15m is the maximum attainable range with that velocity.

P.S: You could have solved this question without finding the velocity (I think you get it)

Regards!
ADI

Adithyan said:
Yes it is 7.5m assuming 15m is the maximum attainable range with that velocity.

P.S: You could have solved this question without finding the velocity (I think you get it)

Regards!
ADI

How could you have solved without finding the velocity? I get that there must be some type of relationship between the height and the maximum range, but I'm not sure I understand exactly what it is.

gorays1414 said:
How could you have solved without finding the velocity? I get that there must be some type of relationship between the height and the maximum range, but I'm not sure I understand exactly what it is.

The formula for maximum range of a projectile motion is [itex] \frac{u^{2}}{g}[/itex] ('u' being the velocity) whereas the maximum attainable height by a ball thrown vertically upwards = [itex] \frac{u^{2}}{2g}[/itex] (This can be derived using the kinematical equations). So the latter is half of the former. Got it now?

Adithyan said:
The formula for maximum range of a projectile motion is [itex] \frac{u^{2}}{g}[/itex] ('u' being the velocity) whereas the maximum attainable height by a ball thrown vertically upwards = [itex] \frac{u^{2}}{2g}[/itex] (This can be derived using the kinematical equations). So the latter is half of the former. Got it now?

Got it, thanks so much.

Related to Basic projectile motion question

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air that is affected by gravity. It can be described as a parabolic path, where the object has both a horizontal and vertical component to its motion.

2. What are the key factors that affect projectile motion?

The key factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the acceleration due to gravity. These factors determine the trajectory and range of the projectile.

3. How is the velocity of a projectile calculated?

The velocity of a projectile can be calculated using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

4. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical components of projectile motion?

The horizontal component of projectile motion remains constant, as there is no force acting on the object in the horizontal direction. The vertical component, however, is affected by gravity and changes throughout the motion.

5. How does the angle of launch affect the range of a projectile?

The angle of launch affects the range of a projectile as it determines the balance between the horizontal and vertical components of the motion. The optimal angle for maximum range is 45 degrees.