Basic Separation of Variables problem

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling with a differential equation problem and seeking help. They discuss the difficulty of finding solutions without involving fractions and mention that many introductory math courses involve learning and applying known techniques for classification and solving problems. The conversation ends with the person expressing frustration and the expert reminding them of the realities of mathematics education.
obstinatus
I'm self-teaching through Tenenbaum & Pollard's "Ordinary Differential Equations", and for some reason I'm completely stuck on one of the problems, Ch.2, lesson 6, problem #6:

Find a 1-parameter family of solutions for [...] the differential equation:

6) yx2dy-y3dx = 2x2dy.

I didn't have trouble with any of the previous problems, but the algebra is evading me here. The proffered solution is:

(cx + 1)y2 = (y-1)x, x =/ 0, y =/ 0; y = 0.

but I can't find any families that don't involve fractions, let alone this one. The subsequent problems also seem to have an algebra trick that I'm missing, so once I understand this one I'll be fine I think.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you see ##x## as the function with variable ##y##, then it's a Bernouilli differential equation.

Hey obstinatus.

A lot of differential equations (particularly in undergraduate college/university courses) involve classification using known methods.

When you start doing this subject it's usually the case where you have to learn the families of differential equations and then apply the known techniques to get a solution.

A lot of introductory mathematics courses are like this and it will help you (I think) in your education if you realize this and utilize it.

Given equation,
$$y\ x^2 \cdot dy-y^3 \cdot dx=2\ x^2\ dy$$
We can rewrite the given equation as
$$\Big(y\ x^2-2\ x^2\Big)dy=y^3\ dx$$
$$\Rightarrow \frac{y-2}{y^3} \cdot dy=\frac{dx}{x^2}$$
Now you can integrate both sides and find the solution.

chiro said:
Hey obstinatus.

A lot of differential equations (particularly in undergraduate college/university courses) involve classification using known methods.

When you start doing this subject it's usually the case where you have to learn the families of differential equations and then apply the known techniques to get a solution.

A lot of introductory mathematics courses are like this and it will help you (I think) in your education if you realize this and utilize it.

This was not helpful.

It's just how it is in a lot of mathematics education.

You don't have the general formulas you might otherwise think exists in mathematics and the reality is that a lot of classification exists to solve particular kinds of problems and not just all the general ones you probably think are easily solved.

It's important to know the realities of how things work and be aware of the effects they have.

Likes obstinatus

Related to Basic Separation of Variables problem

1. What is the Basic Separation of Variables problem?

The Basic Separation of Variables problem is a mathematical technique used to solve partial differential equations that involve multiple variables. It involves separating a multi-variable function into simpler single-variable functions in order to solve the equation.

2. How is the Basic Separation of Variables problem used in science?

The Basic Separation of Variables problem is used in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used to solve problems involving heat transfer, wave propagation, and diffusion.

3. What are the steps to solve a Basic Separation of Variables problem?

The steps to solve a Basic Separation of Variables problem are as follows:

1. Write the partial differential equation in its general form.
  2. Assume a solution in the form of a product of single-variable functions.
  3. Substitute the assumed solution into the equation and simplify.
  4. Set each term in the equation equal to a constant.
  5. Solve the resulting ordinary differential equations for each of the single-variable functions.
  6. Combine the solutions to obtain the general solution to the original partial differential equation.

4. What are the limitations of the Basic Separation of Variables method?

The Basic Separation of Variables method can only be used to solve linear partial differential equations and requires the equation to have separable variables. It also may not always provide a complete solution and may require additional techniques to solve the equation.

5. Can the Basic Separation of Variables problem be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Basic Separation of Variables method can be extended to higher dimensions. In higher dimensions, the equation will involve more than two variables and the solution will be a product of multiple single-variable functions. The steps to solve the problem remain the same, but the number of equations and constants will increase.