What Are the Fundamental Elements of Computer Architecture?

In summary, the conversation discusses the basics of computer architecture and components such as CPU (Central Processing Unit) and RAM (Random Access Memory). The conversation also mentions the usefulness of a book for beginners and advanced users.
khalidmd
Hi guys, I am a newcomer to this. Actually I have confusion about Computer Architecture basics.
So, I want to know what CPU actually is ? I mean is it a Microprocessor or Micro controller ?
What is the difference between CPU and Processor ? If CPU is a Processor, then why we call it as CPU, not Processor ?
What RAM actually is ? Is a RAM that one, which one we can insert into a slot on the MotherBoard or it exists inside the processor which is not visible to us !
Is the 40 pin Integrated circuit(IC) simply a Microprocessor ? Or is there any other elements constructing Microprocessor form outside of the 40 pin IC ?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Well for starters-

CPU - Central Processing Unit (Microprocessor)

RAM- Random Access Memory - Used to hold the data to be processed.
[/PLAIN]
Computer Architecture
- Fairly Complicated

I think a good starting point would be a look at the layout of a motherboard.

Any questions regarding specific components? I would suggest looking at the wiki results for each component and using that as a starting point for your questions.

Attachments

• Computer Parts.jpg
    Computer Parts.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 530
Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen the later editions and am not sure if they deleted any of the basics to include devices made in the last 15 years or just made the book bigger but it was a great resource for me.

This book seems to be helpful to those new to computers yet can still be used for reference by a more advanced user.

Not many other books can do both.

513BDGJT7XL._SS500_.jpg

What is computer architecture?

Computer architecture refers to the design and organization of a computer system, including its hardware components, instruction sets, memory structure, and communication protocols. It is the foundation for how a computer operates and processes information.

Why is understanding computer architecture important?

Understanding computer architecture is important for several reasons. Firstly, it allows computer scientists and engineers to design and build efficient and effective computer systems. It also helps in troubleshooting and optimizing performance issues. Additionally, knowledge of computer architecture is necessary for developing software and applications that can run on different computer systems.

What are the major components of computer architecture?

The major components of computer architecture include the central processing unit (CPU), memory, input/output devices, and the system bus. The CPU is responsible for executing instructions and performing calculations, while memory stores data and instructions for the CPU to access. Input/output devices allow for communication with external devices, and the system bus connects all components and facilitates data transfer.

What is the difference between RISC and CISC architectures?

RISC (Reduced Instruction Set Computer) and CISC (Complex Instruction Set Computer) are two different approaches to computer architecture. RISC processors have a smaller set of simple and efficient instructions, while CISC processors have a larger set of more complex instructions. RISC architectures are known for their speed and efficiency, while CISC architectures typically have more advanced features and can handle more complex tasks.

How does computer architecture impact computer performance?

Computer architecture directly impacts computer performance by determining how efficiently and effectively the system can execute instructions and process data. A well-designed computer architecture can improve performance by optimizing the use of resources and reducing bottlenecks. On the other hand, a poorly designed architecture can lead to slower processing speeds and lower overall performance.