Basketball hang time and the acceleration of gravity

In summary, a basketball player with a hang time of 1.33 seconds and an acceleration of gravity of 9.8m/s^2 will reach a maximum vertical height of 8.6676 meters. However, this calculation may be incorrect as it does not take into account the time to reach maximum height.
david12
Here is my question guys ...i guess you can help me out .

1.A basketball player achieves a hang time of 1.33 second in dunking the ball.the acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s^2.what is vertical hight will he attain.answer in m.

here is what i did.

Y=Y(inital) + v(inital)t + 1/2 gt^2

which is Y = 0.5(9.8)(1.33^2)
=8.6676 m

I don't know what i did wrong but my answer is wrong.

thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

david12 said:
Here is my question guys ...i guess you can help me out .

1.A basketball player achieves a hang time of 1.33 second in dunking the ball.the acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s^2.what is vertical hight will he attain.answer in m.

here is what i did.

Y=Y(inital) + v(inital)t + 1/2 gt^2

which is Y = 0.5(9.8)(1.33^2)
=8.6676 m

I don't know what i did wrong but my answer is wrong.

thank you.

Hang time is total time in the air isn't it? Half of that should give you time to maximum height.

Your approach is correct, but there may be a mistake in your calculation. The correct answer is 8.6676 meters.

To better understand the concept of hang time and the acceleration of gravity, let's break down the equation you used.

Y = Y(initial) + v(initial)t + 1/2 gt^2

Y: This represents the vertical displacement or height attained by the basketball player.

Y(initial): This is the initial height of the basketball player before they start their jump. In this case, it would be 0 since the player starts on the ground.

v(initial): This is the initial velocity of the basketball player before they start their jump. In this case, it would also be 0 since the player is initially at rest.

t: This represents the time in seconds that the basketball player is in the air or the hang time.

g: This is the acceleration due to gravity, which is a constant value of 9.8 m/s^2 on Earth.

Now, plugging in the values given in the question, we get:

Y = 0 + 0(1.33) + 1/2 (9.8)(1.33^2)
= 0 + 0 + 1/2 (9.8)(1.7689)
= 0 + 0 + 8.6676
= 8.6676 meters

So your approach was correct, but there may have been a mistake in calculating 1/2(9.8)(1.33^2). Make sure to double check your calculations to get the correct answer. This calculation is important because it shows that the height attained by the basketball player depends on the hang time, which in turn depends on the acceleration of gravity. This is why basketball players can jump higher on the moon, where the acceleration of gravity is less than on Earth.

Overall, this question and calculation demonstrate the relationship between hang time and the acceleration of gravity, which is an important concept in physics and can be applied to many other sports and activities. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Related to Basketball hang time and the acceleration of gravity

1. What is basketball hang time?

Basketball hang time refers to the amount of time that a basketball player remains in the air after jumping before coming back down to the ground. It is influenced by factors such as the player's jumping ability, speed, and the force applied to the ball.

2. How is basketball hang time affected by the acceleration of gravity?

The acceleration of gravity, which is a constant force of 9.8 meters per second squared, affects the basketball's trajectory and ultimately the hang time. As the ball is released from the player's hand, it is subject to the force of gravity, causing it to fall towards the ground. The longer the ball is in the air, the longer the hang time will be.

3. Can the acceleration of gravity be altered to increase hang time in basketball?

No, the acceleration of gravity is a constant force that cannot be altered by the player. However, factors such as the player's jumping technique and the angle at which the ball is released can affect the hang time.

4. How does air resistance affect basketball hang time?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the basketball's speed and decrease the hang time. The size and shape of the ball, as well as the air density, can also impact the amount of air resistance experienced by the ball.

5. Is there a relationship between hang time and the distance a basketball travels?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between hang time and the distance a basketball travels. The longer the hang time, the farther the ball will travel, as it has more time to travel through the air before reaching the ground. This is why hang time is an important factor in achieving successful long-distance shots in basketball.