Basketball Projectile Motion problem

In summary, the question asks how fast the ball must leave your hand to pass through the basketball hoop at a distance of 4.92m and a height of 0.457m above the release point, with a launch angle of 30 degrees and a gravitational acceleration of 10m/s2. To solve this, the x and y components of velocity must be calculated using the given equations. The time it takes for the ball to reach the top and come back down can be found by adding the two displacements together.
PHYSICSownsME

Homework Statement

You throw a basketball towards a basketball hoop that is 4.92 m away from you, and 0.457 above the release point at 30 degrees above the horizontal (assume g = 10 m/s2)

How fast does the ball have to leave your hand to pass through the hoop on its way down?

Homework Equations

So dx = 4.92 m, and dy= 0.457 m
Vx(t) = (Initial velocity x cos30) t
Vy(t) = (Initial velocity x sin30) x gt

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I just need to find either the x component or y component of velocity as I have θ = 30° which I can use to find the velocity from the release point.

I feel like this question is missing something. I just can't find the time it takes to reach the top (and then it will come back down and go into the hoop) or time it takes to reach the hoop.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You throw a basketball towards a basketball hoop that is 4.92 m away from you, and 0.457 above the release point at 30 degrees above the horizontal (assume g = 10 m/s2)
-------------------------
The time for the ball to reach 4.92m away is equal to the time it needed to reach 0.457m above.
It is the addition of 2 vectors(displacements) that determine the position of the ball.

Related to Basketball Projectile Motion problem

1. What is projectile motion in basketball?

Projectile motion in basketball refers to the curved path that the ball takes when it is thrown or shot into the air. This path is a result of the ball being launched at an angle and then moving under the force of gravity.

2. How does projectile motion affect basketball players?

Projectile motion can affect basketball players in several ways. For example, players must take into account the angle and force at which they shoot the ball in order to make a successful shot. Additionally, players must also adjust their movements and positioning in order to intercept the ball as it follows a curved path towards the basket.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a basketball?

The trajectory of a basketball is affected by several factors, including the initial angle at which it is launched, the force applied to the ball, air resistance, and gravity. Other factors such as the temperature and humidity of the air can also affect the ball's trajectory.

4. How can projectile motion be calculated in basketball?

Projectile motion in basketball can be calculated using the laws of motion and principles of physics. By measuring the initial angle and force applied to the ball, as well as factoring in other variables such as air resistance and gravity, the trajectory of the ball can be predicted and calculated.

5. Why is understanding projectile motion important in basketball?

Understanding projectile motion is important in basketball because it allows players to make more accurate shots and pass the ball more effectively. It also helps coaches and trainers analyze and improve players' techniques and identify areas for improvement.