Batteries in Series: Understanding Voltage Addition

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the addition of voltages in a series circuit with two batteries. The person is struggling to understand the concept of potential energy in this scenario and compares it to the concept of lifting a weight up two hills. The explanation is that the first battery adds V1 to the electrons and the second battery adds V2, resulting in a total of V1+V2.
Slava
Hey Guys, there is one question which is bugging me for the last couple of weeks. I am an embedded software engineer and when it comes to very deep understanding what is going it in the electrical circuits I struggle a lot. Recently I have decided to go through the course of physics again especially electrostatics and electrodynamics and being an engineer started asking questions to myself which never thought about when I was a student.
One of the questions which I bumped into and can't find an answer is this one:

Suppose I have two batteries connected in series. Why the voltages are added together.
I understand roughly physics and electro-chemistry of how the battery works alone. But I am getting lost when
two batteries are connected series. How do electrons get more potential energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Same reason that if you put a hill on top of another hill the heights are added together.
The electrons get more energy the same way that carrying a weight up both hills gets it more energy.
Starting from the highest +ve side - the first battery lifts the electrons through V1 and delivers them to the +ve side of the next battery which lifts them a further V2 for a total of V1+V2.

(Conventional charges go the other way...)

Related to Batteries in Series: Understanding Voltage Addition

1. How do batteries in series work?

When batteries are connected in series, the positive terminal of one battery is connected to the negative terminal of the next battery, creating a continuous flow of electrons from the negative end of the first battery to the positive end of the last battery. This increases the voltage output of the batteries.

2. What is the effect of connecting batteries in series?

Connecting batteries in series increases the overall voltage output while keeping the current flow the same. For example, if two 1.5V batteries are connected in series, the total voltage output will be 3V.

3. Can I mix different types of batteries in series?

No, it is not recommended to mix different types of batteries in series. This can cause an imbalance in the voltage and current flow, potentially damaging the batteries or causing them to drain unevenly.

4. What happens if one battery in a series dies?

If one battery in a series dies, the circuit will be broken and the remaining batteries will not be able to produce the necessary voltage to power the device. It is important to replace all batteries in a series at the same time to ensure proper function.

5. How can I increase the capacity of my batteries in series?

The capacity of batteries in series stays the same as a single battery, but the overall voltage increases. To increase the capacity, you would need to connect batteries in parallel, which increases the current flow while keeping the voltage the same.